How thick should the walls be for chickens to feel safe?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
I have only small predators like raccoons and minks to worry about at night where I live and I wonder if chickens get stressed out when they visit the coop.
Even though chickens can't see at night, they must feel the predator's presence, like them scratching the walls trying to get in.
I'm planning to make a small coop and want to make a big portion of the walls with 1/4 hardware cloth covered with clear plastic which can be removed in the summer.
But I'm worried that chickens might get more scared when a predator scratches the mesh wall compared to a solid one.
Or will the difference be negligible?

I have only small predators like raccoons and minks to worry about at night where I live and I wonder if chickens get stressed out when they visit the coop.
Even though chickens can't see at night, they must feel the predator's presence, like them scratching the walls trying to get in.
I'm planning to make a small coop and want to make a big portion of the walls with 1/4 hardware cloth covered with clear plastic which can be removed in the summer.
But I'm worried that chickens might get more scared when a predator scratches the mesh wall compared to a solid one.
Or will the difference be negligible?
Where in general do you live? It would help us help you on the best type of coop to build.

But generally speaking, if a predator is actively trying to get into the coop, it's going to cause some distress regardless of the walls.

Where in general do you live? It would help us help you on the best type of coop to build.

But generally speaking, if a predator is actively trying to get into the coop, it's going to cause some distress regardless of the walls.
Thank you for your answer.
I live in Canada on an island in the West coast. The climate is mild.

For roof I covered my coop with 1/2 inch hard wire then screw a tin or poly roof with high hats (corrugated) to the "rafters". Single slant roof 4/12 pitch and exposure like this vents the coop air out very effectively. No other venting required.

The 1/2 inch hardware cloth over roof instead of plywood is specifically for weasel prevention and ventilation.

This way you can use plexiglass for window lighting. I use the "window" to look in to determine if they built an alternative nest in bedding. The birds never stay in coop during the day unless it gets below 0 F. Then they wait for temps to rise and come out when it's 5 F. Wind shields for winter run area are key.

Last edited:
I have both solid walls and wire walls and don't think the difference in how scared they get is significant.
I second the 1/2" with heavier wire.
Are you planning to cover all of the wire for winter? What will that leave open for ventilation in the winter?
I'll use both solid and HC walls and leave enough ventilation after covering the HC walls in winter. Thank you for telling me your experience!

For roof I covered my coop with 1/2 inch hard wire then screw a tin or poly roof with high hats (corrugated) to the "rafters". Single slant roof 4/12 pitch and exposure like this vents the coop air out very effectively. No other venting required.

The 1/2 inch hardware cloth over roof instead of plywood is specifically for weasel prevention and ventilation.

This way you can use plexiglass for window lighting. I use the "window" to look in to determine if they built an alternative nest in bedding. The birds never stay in coop during the day unless it gets below 0 F. Then they wait for temps to rise and come out when it's 5 F. Wind shields for winter run area are key.
Good idea about the roof. It'll be simpler that way.
I'll use 1/4 inch HC because of minks we have around here.
It gets very cold there. I can't imagine my birds not coming out of the coop. They scream wanting to get out first thing in the morning.
But it'll be their first winter and it has gone down to 10F last winter, which was a very rare occasion, who knows. ...Well, I still think they'll come out rain or cold. They don't have a run and just go around as they please. The current coop will be their emergency run once I make them a new one.

It takes a bit for birds to get used to snow but once they do they walk the trampled or shoveled paths no problems.

My winter area is a simple leanto. bottom end attached to stakes in the ground and high end bolted to pressure treated 2x4 planted 2ft in the ground for each corner. This is in front of my coop, the high end of leanto is above the front coop roof. Makes for a large dry area that doesn't have to be shoveled. Plastic one side and leave one side open. Toss hay down when it turns to ice or mud in there. Birds will spend the entire day outside like this unless it is below 0 F. Will even be out in those temps if sunny.

Back
Top Bottom