How to care for eggs after collecting them...

They only need to be stored pointy side down if you intend to hatch out fertile eggs. Something to do with better positioning of the air bubble inside the egg.

Ah! Ok! Thank you
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png

I have read quite a bit on the subject of commercial egg washing. One of the reasons behind why it is illegal for commercial egg producers in, say the UK, to wash eggs is it encourages better animal husbandry. Chickens raised well and their health tended to will tend to lay cleaner eggs (less poopy eggs). In the USA, it doesn't matter how much poop gets on each egg because they'll just wash it off. In the UK, poopy eggs are not sold, but it doesn't affect the farms that much because they don't end up with many poopy eggs. And if they did, they would quickly go out of business. I don't recall when it changed, but I know that many years ago not washing eggs was the standard practice also here in the USA.

It's been a long time for us, but we have had some truly nasty poopy eggs in the past. We don't wash these nor eat them. Perhaps I'll cook it up and feed it back to the chickens. Most of our eggs are perfectly clean. Occasionally with a speck or smear of poop; these may or may not get washed before cooking them.

Back
Top Bottom