How to care for Eggs

soccermom

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 16, 2010
My son is going to get about 4 or 5 chickens to use as his FFA project for high school. None of us have ever had chickens, so we're definitely rookies. Could you please post some good tips on caring for the eggs? He would like to sell what he could (probably mainly relatives), realizing that 4 or 5 chickens aren't going to produce a lot of eggs. So we need to make sure we care for them properly for selling. Is there something special to clean them? I've seen some talk about not refrigerating "unwashed" eggs, so do we not wash them? As you can tell I definitely need some guidance. Any tips would be appreciated:)

welcome-byc.gif

I dont wash mine until I go to refridge them, and only if they appear dirty. I usually leave on counter. I did ask a question that has gone unanswered as to how long you can leave them out. No answers yet though. but your new here so I think someone else will answer you. I do use a egg wash for those I intend to sell.

Hi and welcome to BYC!
When I collect my eggs, I immediately refrigerate them unwashed unless they are dirty. Slightly dirty and I wash them in hot water, dry with a paper towel, refrigerate and use those first. Really dirty ones go to the dogs. I rarely have a super dirty one because I clean the nestboxes religiously and am vigilant about not letting the hens roost in or on the boxes.
The unwashed ones I sell and remind my customers to wash them just before using. Washing eggs removes the bloom, a protective coating the hen deposits on the egg and without the bloom they don't last as long.

For eggs I am going to sell for eating, I use a styrofoam carton to collect them and store them in (yes in the fridge - but that's why I use foam) and I don't wash them either until I am ready to sell them, as they last longer if you wait, then after they are dry, they go into clean cartons and put on a seperate shelf in the fridge.

It seems that I read somewhere that leaving a fresh egg on the counter at room temperature for one day is the same as a week of refrigerating. That sounds a bit much, but I am pretty sure I read that somewhere in a study.

Agree with others - you really do not want to wash them if possible b/c you remove the anti-bacterial bloom and they will not last as long. We do what 'gritsar' does and wash with warm water (warmer than the egg) if there is a bit of mud on them - but if it is alot - they go to the dogs. They only time we have problems with dirty eggs is if it has been raining alot and the chicken has muddy feet. I just always wash my hands after handling. I think the chance of an egg having salmonella in the yolk or on the shell is very rare, but if the bacteria is present, it is super easy to kill with heating - as long as the egg is not runny.

Our first batch of chickens ever were 6 RIR 's - they layed enough eggs to feed our family of 5 and then some for the relatives!

Back
Top Bottom