How to cull a chick?

daytonfarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Maryland
I have a chick that is missing his top beak and cannot stand. I need to cull him, I tried the vinegar/baking soda in a sealed container, was supposed to do the trick in 1 minute, I left him 20 minutes then took him out. I have put him in a ziplock bag, squeezed as much air out as possible, thought it would last 10minutes, so far it's been an hour and a half. If this little guy could stand I give him a chance but he just wont die! I really don't want to snap the neck, I'm afraid of the feeling in my hands something that I can't forget.
Help!!

oh poor thing, just do it for him!! that sounds horrible but then he won't suffer. if ya want to try to help him though, lots of people on here are very experienced on that. he seems like a fighter!!

just end him quickly by cutting off his head or something else that is quick. Life has not sounded too good for him so far
hmm.png

Quote:
My option still requires contact but it is quick and when done properly the chick will not be aware.

I click the back of a chicks head with my middle finger. Holding chick in left hand facing away from you, position right hand such that right thumb about 1.5 inches behind chicks head. Then place middle finger tip on thumb to form an O-shape. Begin extending middle finger while holding it back with thumb building up force in middle finger, then allow middle to release flicking forward forcefully to contact the back of the chicks skull. Practice by flicking table. Flicking table should make nice snap and possibly make your finger sore if done repeatedly.

Chick should not be more than a couple days old otherwise skull will require more of an impact than most people can deliver.

For me justifying the euthanizing will be doing chick a favor by freeing up resources for its siblings that will be able to survive. I do not like my being a softy causing undue stress on my charges.

It takes very little effort when using a pair of scissors. Hold it over the trash can (or where ever you dispose of it at), put the scissors on the neck, and close your eyes as you close the scissors..... then you won't see anything.

Good luck. I am sorry you have to do this.

Ughh, so sorry you have to go through this!
hugs.gif
I had to cull one a few weeks ago. I walked around with it in my hands for a good 30 minutes and I could not do it by hand. It had to be done, so I just grabbed a pair of handheld pruning shears. I put them around his neck, then I looked away, and squeezed the handles together really fast. It did not cut his head off, but broke his neck quickly and easily. It made me sad no doubt. But not near as bad as if I had done it by my actual bare hands. I hope this helps you some or gives you some sort of idea. It would be easier on both of you if it was over with quickly.

i've never done it before, but if i had to, i would put him in a non-see-through bag of some sort, place him under my car tire and back up. that way it's quick and i don't have to hold him and be close to him. poor lil' guy.

Back
Top Bottom