How to cull a chick?

daytonfarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Maryland
I have a chick that is missing his top beak and cannot stand. I need to cull him, I tried the vinegar/baking soda in a sealed container, was supposed to do the trick in 1 minute, I left him 20 minutes then took him out. I have put him in a ziplock bag, squeezed as much air out as possible, thought it would last 10minutes, so far it's been an hour and a half. If this little guy could stand I give him a chance but he just wont die! I really don't want to snap the neck, I'm afraid of the feeling in my hands something that I can't forget.
Help!!

I really cannot believe some of the suggestions on this thread. The only thing that matters here is the quickest method of death with the least amount of pain or suffering. YOUR amount of comfort or level of squeamishness does not count. If you cannot deal with humanely putting down a chick then do not hatch them. It is not common but sometimes needs to be done. Holding a chick under water or putting it in a plastic bag to suffocate is cruel. The physiological response the animal's body goes through in an effort to get oxygen is incredible. It is hardly a fast or peaceful way to die. The same applies to poisoning through vapors or other toxins. The fastest method is simple decapitation. It is not fun, it is not enjoyable but it is what is best for the bird in need. Anything done to make the process more comfortable for yourself at the expense of the chick is simple cruelty. It amazes me how many people here will rage on and on about how much they love their little fluffy butts yet the conversations often return back to the owner's feelings and emotions. No doubt I will hear about how rude I am being to people right now- again focussing on the owner's emotions than the needs of the animal. Sorry, but in my opinion there is no middle ground here.

I generally just wring the neck. It is quick and painless and their is no mess to clean up.

Most of the "No See" methods, like suffocating ina bag or vinegar and baking soda in a sealed container are not fail safe methods and generally cause the chick to suffer more than they need to. Suffocation and drowning are far from painless and can take a very long time to take effect. Often times if it seems kinder than wringing the neck or cutting off the head it isn't. You need to think about what is best for the bird and not what is best for you.

Not to sound like a jerk, but if you can't stomach killing a bird outright and you have no one to do this for you, then you may want to consider not raising chickens. You will have to cull one eventually for whatever reason and it is just not fair to the bird if you can't stand kill it fast and painless.

Last edited:
HOW TO CULL A CHICK IN 1 SECOND.
I think the vinegar death sounds terrible. I would want to be killed my faster. This is how I approached it when I had to euthanize a chick tonight. The chick was born about 7 hours ago. She was very cute orange ball of fuzzy, Unfortunately she couldn't stand, as if her/his head was too big. Her skull seemed to have a protrusion on the back of its' skull. When she would try to get around the incubator, she would sort of fall over. If I would let the other chick near her (hatched 28 hours ago) The chick would peck at it relentlessly at her. I read some things in the evening about how to cull, why to cull and when to cull. To me the vinegar death sounded slow and not a death I would like to have. So this is how I approached it. "If I had to be culled I - how would I want it?" Quick and painless.

So I was running it over in my mind. Why do I keep chickens? I keep them for the eggs, meat and to breed them. I don't know if this chick is a roo or a hen, but I would have to have a separate space for the chick, and then bird as it grew older. I'm not even sure what's wrong with it. If it did live, I would eat the eggs or it's meat, and I certainly wouldn't breed it. So around 1:00 am I went to the incubator, hopeing to see improvement. It was still staggering around, the other chick had infiltrated my barrier and was pecking at it periodically to the point the deformed chick had a bloody foot. I separated them again. Put my dishes in the cabinet and came back to check, thinking I would give her until the morning.

When I went back in she was on her back laying in he water (a coffee can lid with water in it). I said ok, that's it. I am being cruel to keep this chick alive, if it's on it's back it can't get up. So I went outside to gather my required items for the dirty deed. I dug a hole. I got a cinder block and a brick (yes it's 1:00 am I am in my nightgrown in my backyard digging a chick grave). I put the block next to the grave, so I didn't have to carry her anywhere. I held her, told her I was sorry, said a prayer - took a deep breath and struck very hard and very quickly. Within a split-second she was dead. Then came the tears, the horror, the heaving sobs. I slid her into her grave covered her with dirt, but the brick and the cinder block back. Watched my hands thoroughly like Lady Macbeth "out ****** spot"

It was pretty terrible for me, but I am 100% certain it was painless for the chick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaransGuy
I really cannot believe some of the suggestions on this thread. The only thing that matters here is the quickest method of death with the least amount of pain or suffering. YOUR amount of comfort or level of squeamishness does not count. If you cannot deal with humanely putting down a chick then do not hatch them. It is not common but sometimes needs to be done. Holding a chick under water or putting it in a plastic bag to suffocate is cruel. The physiological response the animal's body goes through in an effort to get oxygen is incredible. It is hardly a fast or peaceful way to die. The same applies to poisoning through vapors or other toxins. The fastest method is simple decapitation. It is not fun, it is not enjoyable but it is what is best for the bird in need. Anything done to make the process more comfortable for yourself at the expense of the chick is simple cruelty. It amazes me how many people here will rage on and on about how much they love their little fluffy butts yet the conversations often return back to the owner's feelings and emotions. No doubt I will hear about how rude I am being to people right now- again focussing on the owner's emotions than the needs of the animal. Sorry, but in my opinion there is no middle ground here.

X3

oh poor thing, just do it for him!! that sounds horrible but then he won't suffer. if ya want to try to help him though, lots of people on here are very experienced on that. he seems like a fighter!!

just end him quickly by cutting off his head or something else that is quick. Life has not sounded too good for him so far
hmm.png

Quote:
My option still requires contact but it is quick and when done properly the chick will not be aware.

I click the back of a chicks head with my middle finger. Holding chick in left hand facing away from you, position right hand such that right thumb about 1.5 inches behind chicks head. Then place middle finger tip on thumb to form an O-shape. Begin extending middle finger while holding it back with thumb building up force in middle finger, then allow middle to release flicking forward forcefully to contact the back of the chicks skull. Practice by flicking table. Flicking table should make nice snap and possibly make your finger sore if done repeatedly.

Chick should not be more than a couple days old otherwise skull will require more of an impact than most people can deliver.

For me justifying the euthanizing will be doing chick a favor by freeing up resources for its siblings that will be able to survive. I do not like my being a softy causing undue stress on my charges.

It takes very little effort when using a pair of scissors. Hold it over the trash can (or where ever you dispose of it at), put the scissors on the neck, and close your eyes as you close the scissors..... then you won't see anything.

Good luck. I am sorry you have to do this.

Back
Top Bottom