How to cull a chick?

Quote:
I most definitely felt worse for the chick than i did for myself... It was my first cull of any animal so I was already shaking and then I was trying to keep my 11 yr old son from NOT seeing me do it.. He was a bit upset that I didn't let him "say goodbye" before I buried the poor thing but I wasn't about to let him see what happened...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Quote:
remind me to never get on your bad side....
big_smile.png

I don't have an issue with culling for sickness or butchering for meat. I do both of these things with a "thank you" and a "watch out." With that said, I feel terrible when I can feel little frog bodies popping under my tires while driving after a rain...
hmm.png

Last edited:
that sounds completely awful i have had to do it before, i just put it on a cinder block, and crushed it's head with a rock, it was aweful, it even made a little noise, and i think about that chick all the time i was truly awful, i like the idea better of putting it in a black bag and running it over with your car, just dont make the same mistake i did i just think about it all the time, dont cut its head off with scissors, because if your squeamish it will still move in your hands after you cut its head off, eeeeeeeeeeewwwww

I really cannot believe some of the suggestions on this thread. The only thing that matters here is the quickest method of death with the least amount of pain or suffering. YOUR amount of comfort or level of squeamishness does not count. If you cannot deal with humanely putting down a chick then do not hatch them. It is not common but sometimes needs to be done. Holding a chick under water or putting it in a plastic bag to suffocate is cruel. The physiological response the animal's body goes through in an effort to get oxygen is incredible. It is hardly a fast or peaceful way to die. The same applies to poisoning through vapors or other toxins. The fastest method is simple decapitation. It is not fun, it is not enjoyable but it is what is best for the bird in need. Anything done to make the process more comfortable for yourself at the expense of the chick is simple cruelty. It amazes me how many people here will rage on and on about how much they love their little fluffy butts yet the conversations often return back to the owner's feelings and emotions. No doubt I will hear about how rude I am being to people right now- again focussing on the owner's emotions than the needs of the animal. Sorry, but in my opinion there is no middle ground here.

Do you include vinegar and baking soda as cruel?

Because, I used this method for processing two birds this past week, and they just went to sleep, no struggle, no fighting to get away, as soon as breathing stopped and they went limp, I cut off their heads.

Having had to "put down" long term family pet members, due to cancer and stroke, I can honestly say that the vinegar/baking soda worked as well as any medically administered cocktail. Just saying. I think most people err on not using enough baking soda and vinegar to fill the volume of container with carbon monoxide, because otherwise it is an orderless, clear gas that induces sleep, then deep anesthsia, and then death.

I am concerned when people discredit a legal and humane method of culling, because they have obtained misleading information or have not researched the information available to them.

Happy New Year

Back
Top Bottom