How to cull a chick?

Quote:
AMEN!!!

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Quick, sure, and decisive would be best. The feelings of the culler don't matter nearly as much as those of the cullee. Do it fast and quick, and don't let it drag on!

Quote:
why would you think carbon monoxide is formed from the baking soda/vinegar reaction? The bubbles you see are carbon dioxide, not monoxide. Carbon dioxide is a by-product of many things, including breathing. They will eventually suffocate, which is probably what you saw happening.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
remind me to never get on your bad side....
big_smile.png

I don't have an issue with culling for sickness or butchering for meat. I do both of these things with a "thank you" and a "watch out." With that said, I feel terrible when I can feel little frog bodies popping under my tires while driving after a rain...
hmm.png

gig.gif
now every time i hear the term "throw you under the bus" i will think of this!
lau.gif

I put mine in a paper bag, sealed well, and place in the freezer. They lose consciousness, and die. Then I usually either bury them or burn them depending on the time of year and the weather. My husband gassed one once for me and told me he would never do that again.

Quote:
So they get cold, then sensations of frostbite, numbness and pain in their little toes and wing tips.....then they shiver till they die. Could take 10-15 minutes or more. Sounds charming. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

This should probably be locked before it gets ugly. The OP has culled the bird, it's over. The longer this is discussed the more apt it is to get ugly. It does every time.

Follow link below.

http://www.ahc.umn.edu/rar/euthanasia.html

List multiple methods that suitable for culling. Rules pretty strict in respect to methods used, in part because critics concerned about mental state of animals to be put down.

My method of flicking approximates cervical dislocation and based on my experience the flicking is faster and less messy.

The vinager and baking soda method (carbon dioxide) is frequently used but is very easy to botch if system leaky. When we use carbon dioxide, CO2 source is from a pressurized cylinder and individual to be put down is in an aquarium rather than a bag.

Back
Top Bottom