How to cull a chick?

Quote:
then you'd have to pick up a bag of guts
sickbyc.gif

you could always shoot him with a shotgun like i did my first rabbit. wont be anything left but he wil never know what hit him. sorry i know its hard but needed.

Scissors or shears will do it quick.

If you cant stomach that,then hold it upside down and insert in a long glass of water and hold for a minute or two,but this is a long process to kill.

You could also get a cup of rubbing alcohol and dip its head in.Its almost instant kill.Quicker than the water,a tad slower than the scissors.

I generally just wring the neck. It is quick and painless and their is no mess to clean up.

Most of the "No See" methods, like suffocating ina bag or vinegar and baking soda in a sealed container are not fail safe methods and generally cause the chick to suffer more than they need to. Suffocation and drowning are far from painless and can take a very long time to take effect. Often times if it seems kinder than wringing the neck or cutting off the head it isn't. You need to think about what is best for the bird and not what is best for you.

Not to sound like a jerk, but if you can't stomach killing a bird outright and you have no one to do this for you, then you may want to consider not raising chickens. You will have to cull one eventually for whatever reason and it is just not fair to the bird if you can't stand kill it fast and painless.

Last edited:
I had to cull a newly hatched chick last spring, and I didn't have time to fret over it or worry about it. Just got a pair of scissors and did the deed. It was very quick, immediate, and did not require much effort. I felt much better knowing the chick had not suffered.

Back
Top Bottom