How to decide which breed to choose?

Dolly1218

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
Colorado
Hello all! I had originally planned on moving into a RV with birds, however a few things have changed and I will be staying put for awhile. Well currently Im in an apartment. I want indoor chickens, of course they will have outdoor time too. I am redecorating my balcony into an outdoor play area for chickens. I am setting up a brooder and ordering supplies, I basically have everything figured out except the breed.

I have narrowed it down to 5 breeds: bantam Easter Egger, bantam Cochin, Polish, Faverolles, and Belgian d'Uccle. I am in love with them all, but obviously I can only have 2-4 adults. How on earth do I choose?? Does anyone have pictures of their birds? Which of these is your favorite and why? I want a sweet and gentle breed. Thank you everyone!

I really think you would like the breed called, "Puppy" Don't think you could live in an apartment with 4 chickens of any breed. JMHO

have you thought of a house duck? my 3 pekins are IMPRINTED on me and its like having 3 med size dog - i love it . they have a TON of personality and show so much love its adorable - since your having a patio you can have a lil pool but you dont HAVE too ... your bath tub would be hilarious im sure haha . i also have 15 BARRED ROCK Chickens ... when i was choosing them i chose them on 3 points . 1 . they are hardy for the cold OHIO winters . 2. they are easy to maintain . and 3 . they are like LAPCHICKENS! they follow me everywhere looking for a treat and i cant help but give em one they are so sweet and cute and soft . they hop up in my lap or my sons lap or just come when called even if we have no treat . we ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. they are a dual purpose breed but i cant imagine eating any of my girls . not one! i love them all . and my 3 ducks!

charlotte looking at me like " what are you taking my pic for " lol

most of my ROCK girls

can i alteast get of the porch girls haha

more of my Rocks

Well, I have most of those breeds in large fowl form. I think, what with them being indoor birds, you're gonna want to go with small size, docility, and ability to bear confinement. with that said, here's my experience. My easter egger, Chickpea, can best be described as 'quirky.' She has a thing for hair. She will sidle up to you while you are interacting with the other chickens, look at you, streeeetcchhh up while you're not looking, and tear out some hair. then she will run off to enjoy the spoils of her conquest. She's not really as friendly as the other birds, but I did get her a little older and she does sit in your lap if the mood strikes her, but you can't pet her or she gets up. Still, she's beautiful and silly.

I also have a polish. She is skittish; they are known to be skittish, I think. It hasppens because their crazy head feathers block their view of things and to compensate they're always more on guard. She's silly, but not very docile, and she'd much rather be out roaming the yard than be locked in the coop or run. I'm not sure if this is true for the breed as a whole, but for her it certainly is!

I had a porcelain d'uccle, same breed as the millie fleur, just a different color. I say had, because my neighbor's dog recently killed her. Anyway, she was one of the sweetest birds I have ever owned. I could do whatever I wanted to her. Pick her up, flip her on her back, whatever I wanted. Such a sweet, docile bird. Also very small, which is a plus in your situation. And absolutely beautiful.

I had a mottled bantam cochin for a while during her twilight years. She was a firecracker! Lots of personality in a little bird. She absolutely hated to be cooped up, though. I friend tried to keep her as a house bird and she got so irate she'd peck and bite him every chance she got. Not sure if this intolerance of confinement is usual for the breed, though.

Salmon faverolles I have never had, but I've got some on order coming next week! They're supposed to be fluffy and sweet and friendly and docile. Have you read the Derperella thread? If not, go read it now. No, seriously. You'll thank me later. However, they may be a little big for being apartment birds. Maybe look into bantam faverolles instead?

And I hate to do this for you, but I'm going to throw another breed into the ring, in case you weren't aware of them. Old English Game bantams. They're tiny. Literally the smallest bantams I've seen this side of seramas. That would be perfect for apartment living. They're also very, very friendly. My favorite hen was a OEGB. She was tiny and cute and perfect and flew up onto my shoulder to ride around while I was in the yard or doing chicken chores. And she didn't mind confinement at all, mostly because she was so small, I think. What would have been tiny for a bigger bird was spacious for her. Plus, they come in all sorts of beautiful, dazzling colors. I mean, just go look at all the varieties Ideal has and your jaw will drop.

Anyway, I hope I helped out, and good luck picking!

Thank you everyone! I had 3 indoor ducks, but I turned out to be allergic, I wish I could have them again.
Pyxis- thank you, you helped a lot. I looked at the OEGB and while they are very beautiful, I love the puffy cheeks look and feathered legs. I think I will take Polish off of my list, I dont want a skittish bird, I want one that will hop up into my lap. Im still torn between the other 4 breeds! :)

Then my vote out of your choices is d'uccle. Sweet little birds! Or, if you can find them, bantam faverolles.

Thank you. I did try the mypetchicken tool, Im still stuck lol.
Is there a hatchery that sells bantam Faverolles chicks or eggs? Is there a hatchery that sells eggs from bantam Cochin and dUccle?

Does it have to be from a hatchery? You could get eggs from a breeder, I'm sure. Plus the birds would be better quality that way.

Back
Top Bottom