How to deter domestic cats

The electronic animal repelling device is the most ludicrous farce ever perpetrated on the public. They don't run off mice, rats, dogs, raccoons, possums nor any other creature I've ever heard of. The sprinkler idea is equally ineffective.

Just go ahead and try to discuss the problem with the owners of the cats. And, when one gets run over by a car, dies of natural causes or someone else knows how to rid themselves of a lurking killer, you will be blamed!

A guy just up the road from my son complained to the owner of a dog that was caught red-handed killing chickens and horribly mauling a young goat his daughter loved dearly. He explained to the low-life that if the dog came back he was gonna call animal control. Within a week both of his dogs were dead from poisoning.

I have not made many friends here with my stand for extreme predator control. I just don't understand why some people think that because an animal has predatory instincts embedded in their DNA, that my instincts to protect me and mine is inhumane. There is no more powerful instinct than to protect yourself and your family/stock. It is the predator's overwhelming desire to kill that makes the solution to the problem to eliminate the threat. This is a natural reaction and a very effective solution that is as old as mankind!

Some how, it has become fashionable to believe that it is less cruel for chickens and stock to die an agonizing death to a predator, than for the predator to die.

Yeah....totally agree. The OP has a totally different situation than we do in the US. I hope something out of the non-lethal suggestions works. I am rural also and extremely lucky at this point to not be over run with free ranging/feral cats. I do have one very large tomcat that lives behind us at my neighbor's hay barn. I was reading this thread with interest because I would just as soon leave him alone as long as he continues to do his job at the barn(rats and mice) but it will be game on if he decides to hang out in my yard once my coop and pen are occupied. :( Hubby and I have already discussed it....we will leave him alone as long as he doesn't bother the coop. But he probably will. :(

For the record....I despise free ranging and feral cats. The havoc they wreak is very real and I have been on the receiving end of it too many times. I don't know what I would do if the prevailing attitude was that it was the cat's right to roam. Too many cat owners here in the US have that attitude but at least I have the right legally to do something about it. And my two GP's won't tolerate strange cats on their property. They make short work of them. Maybe OP needs a chicken friendly dog? Just throwing that out there since I would have no suggestions for that.

Not to highjack the thread but where are you Owen? I am originally from SW VA and my brother who still lives there stays over run with stray/dropped cats. It is a VERY big problem. You can PM me that answer if you want. :)

I absolutely understand the anger over roaming cats that instigates rants.....

I'm about a half hour or so from Blacksburg (probably the biggest town you'd know thanks to Virginia Tech) in that area (Dublin, Radford, Wytheville, etc) with a bunch of small towns that you blink and miss while traveling on one of the interstates. ;)

I'm about a half hour or so from Blacksburg (probably the biggest town you'd know thanks to Virginia Tech) in that area (Dublin, Radford, Wytheville, etc) with a bunch of small towns that you blink and miss while traveling on one of the interstates.  ;)

Too funny....I am about 40 minutes from Blacksburg but on the WV side. LOL Originally from Wytheville by way of Roanoke(for far too many years). So I am more familiar with the area than you know. ;)
And I've said it before but a great cheap predator solution is rat poison pellets in sardines.

Will keep that in mind thanks. Hoping I won't have to resort to it .....but ya' never know.

Didn't realize you were in the UK...

Box Traps catch cats perfectly well, use a empty can of tuna that way you can have a sandwich while you wait.

After that do what ever you want with it.

Well, thanks guys. Since installing two ultrasonic devices (I couldn't go for the squirty ones as we have no water supply at that side of the house) I haven't seen a single cat in the garden for around 4 days. I will keep my eye out but it seems to be working and the chickens certainly aren't bothered by them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom