How to "free range" chickens now that bobcat is around?

I suggest that you try trapping that critter and give it a case of "lead poisoning". I understand they love skunk. First you will have to collect a roadkill skunk. You will need a bucket with a lid and plastic bag inside. Something disposable to collect it into the bucket. Something to hold your nose from the smell too. Go you tube and find how to set a paw trap for a bobcat. Place the bait so the bobcat will approach it and not notice the trap. Of course if you have dogs or pets that will get caught in your trap then that won't be an option. A live trap will have to be used in that case. Your bobcat now has learned that you have a chicken buffet and it will return. I have made a free standing no dig 25 ft x 50 ft run which can be easily moved by one person. You will have to special order the 4 way horizontal and one vertical opening fittings and the pvc is readily available in your local HD or Lowes or whatever. I used plastic fencing at first but had to use chicken fencing 2 feet high because of the squirrels chewing through it. So perhaps a 4 foot high chicken wire would do better. It will make it a lot heavier. I also added 3 strands of wire and electrified it. The 4 way and 5 way fittings are found on line as they are not a standard fitting at the local stores. I do indeed have bobcats, fox, coyotes, and the usual possums and raccoons , even a few Puma in the area which I have never seen.
Best of luck feel free to ask me any questions you may have. Hope this helps.
View attachment 3709810View attachment 3709812View attachment 3709808
I completely missed this, thank you for the suggestions. I've been keeping my chicks in a run but the ducks have been roaming. Today, I got my first duck egg and quickly after lost my first duck. Bobcat came and took our only male right out of his pool.

Sorry for all the losses. I've had great success with a heeler who alerts and protects really well. I'm not sure if this was already suggested, but have a guardian dog/animal for free ranging is also a great option in my opinion. Especially if you don't have the time to babysit or watch all day.

Back
Top Bottom