Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Welp, this sucks... Just figured out my grandson's Silkie is blind. >.<

I'd noticed a couple of weeks ago she was acting strange, staying in the coop and not going out with the others. I brought her to my daughter, who commented on her keeping her eyes closed a lot. She seemed to be better the next day so I put her back, but a day later I brought her in to my own place and she's been here since.

Today, since it was nice out, I took her and her Bantam Cochin buddy (who is also being cared for at my place) out for a bit of supervised free-ranging. I have 30 ducks of various breed (mostly Muscovy), as well as two Lavender Orpington pullets, a Silver Laced Polish cockerel, and a Blue-Laced Red Orpington rooster, plus my daughter's and grand-son's Silkies and Bantam Cochins. We all live on the same property, but I'm the main livestock caregiver.

I placed the two pullets down, and the Cochin immediately started going around and exploring. The Silkie stayed put, hunkering down in place. Okay, I thought, she's just a bit freaked. When the other birds came to investigate, Cochin reacted as a normal chicken would. Silkie remained in her spot, not even seeming to notice any of the other birds and only flinching when one nipped at her out of curiosity. I watched a bit longer, then decided to put her in a run way from the others. She backed herself up against something solid (the fence) and remained there. That's when it dawned on me.

I did a few tests (bright lights, from my camera flash, no reaction, finger coming in slowly, no reaction, food and water in front of her, no reaction until I tapped her beak and then she would eat and drink). I don't know how this happened, she was fine before she started hiding in the coop. Only thing I can think of is she got pecked in just the wrong spot on her head. No, her 'hair' isn't too long and doesn't get in her eyes. Her head does wobble a bit, and she isn't up and about like a chicken usually is. From everything I've read, this is most probably permanent.

So, long story short, how do I set things up for her to lead a happy chicken life?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, it's the only one that seemed to fit.

Provide feed and water in a consistent place so that she can find it. Provide a gentle companion if that is possible. Separate her from birds that might injure her. This should provide a somewhat good quality life. Good luck.
Thanks Sourland.

The little runt Cochin she's in with (which I was caring for after she got heat-stroke and just ended up staying with me) is very gentle. They seem to enjoy each other's company, and neither picks on the other.

After I made the realization today, I did a face-palm because I'd recently moved some things around in the bin where they both reside currently. I put everything back and made sure the Silkie got food and water and knew where it was.

Another thing I’ve done for my blind girl, is teach her to listen for me to tap on the dish. Her food is in a ceramic bowl and when I change her feed and water I tap a few times on the dish to let her know it’s ready. Needless to say everything stays in the exact same position in her coop. She’s living her best life with one of her daughters, a gentle Welsummer. They snuggle and night and never fight over food.

Another thing I’ve done for my blind girl, is teach her to listen for me to tap on the dish. Her food is in a ceramic bowl and when I change her feed and water I tap a few times on the dish to let her know it’s ready. Needless to say everything stays in the exact same position in her coop. She’s living her best life with one of her daughters, a gentle Welsummer. They snuggle and night and never fight over food.
I did that with her, actually. Imitating the sound of her own beak as she looked for the edge of the bowl.

BUT, no need to do that anymore.

Because...

Whatever had caused the blindness has resolved itself!!! We figure that since she's a silkie and has that soft spot on her skull, she got pecked in just the wrong place.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed her behaviour changing, and how she seemed a bit more perky and vocal. Sure enough, her sight has come back! :ya:jumpy:ya

I did that with her, actually. Imitating the sound of her own beak as she looked for the edge of the bowl.

BUT, no need to do that anymore.

Because...

Whatever had caused the blindness has resolved itself!!! We figure that since she's a silkie and has that soft spot on her skull, she got pecked in just the wrong place.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed her behaviour changing, and how she seemed a bit more perky and vocal. Sure enough, her sight has come back! :ya:jumpy:ya
I had a polish that had that happen once. Took about a week I think to clear up

So glad to hear she’s okay! Keep watch on her though. My girl who got hit by fowl pox was blind in one eye, then both, then it cleared up with meds. Now I’m pretty sure she’s blind to stay now. Makes me wonder about the damage done to her eyes with the original problem.

So glad to hear she’s okay! Keep watch on her though. My girl who got hit by fowl pox was blind in one eye, then both, then it cleared up with meds. Now I’m pretty sure she’s blind to stay now. Makes me wonder about the damage done to her eyes with the original problem.
I shall. She's indoors for the winter, so I get up close and personal with her every day.

Sorry to hear about yours :(

Back
Top Bottom