How to Grow a Blueberry Bush

I appreciate your questions and I appreciate the answers to the questions about the Blueberries. It helped clarify. I only have two Blueberry shrubs. One looks spring green and one is a rich blue green But wait they are the same type of Blueberry and only a few feet of each other. Maybe if I add some sand and lime? If you know please advise. Thank you.

Last edited:
I appreciate your questions and I appreciate the answers to the questions about the Blueberries. It helped clarify. I only have two Blueberry shrubs. One looks spring green and one is a rich blue green But wait they are the same type of Blueberry and only a few feet of each other. Maybe if I add some sand and lime? If you know please advise. Thank you.
Blueberries like acidic soil, so I would avoid the lime.

Blueberries like acidic soil, so I would avoid the lime.
oh no! You mean that is why one is a yellow green? I gave it the wrong thing. The Ag guy in our county said to use lime on our soil while we were checking on things so I thought I would throw some the blueberries way. So,... I did wrong?

Last edited:
oh no! You mean that is why one is a yellow green? I gave it the wrong thing. The Ag guy in our county said to use lime on our soil while we were checking on things so I thought I would throw some the blueberries way. So,... I did wrong? The ag guy said we needed a thousand pounds of lime per acre and that is a lot of acres. I only took a handfull of it and put it in my pockets when I got off the tractor. I never told anyone what I did.
It is a good idea to get a PH meter and check you soil. Just because a county is mostly one type of soil does not mean that all places are the same. You would then need to match the PH Reading to what the plant needs.

Sulphur will increase acidity.

Blueberries need another variety of berries for pollination.
Northern Highbush are mostly self fertile, but will produce better with another variety. Southern Highbush are partially self fertile, but will certainly produce better with a second variety. Most rabbiteyes will not produce berries without another variety though some are partially self fertile All do better with another variety.

It is a good idea to get a PH meter and check you soil. Just because a county is mostly one type of soil does not mean that all places are the same. You would then need to match the PH Reading to what the plant needs.

Yes, it can vary across the yard. My yard is from 4.5 to 5.75 without amendments.

Do a soil test. You local County Agent or Land Grant college will assist you.

You have to tell the county agent that you are growing Blueberries. You should fertilize them with Azalea and Rhododendron fertilizer. Mulch with Oak leaves or pine straw.

Quote: Thank you Hagar I appreciate your helpful info. I do not have any blueberry bushes as of yet. I am going to be picking some out this fall. I am working on trying to root some cuttings that Arielle sent me.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom