How to incubate peacock eggs?

Chickenpoor

Songster
Jan 3, 2011
Westminster, SC
Does anyone know how to incubate peacock eggs?

How long does it take?
When do you stop turning them and put them in lock down?
What temperature do you incubate them at?
What should the humidity be?

If there is anything else I will need to know please let me know as I'm planning to incubate some when my friends peacock starts laying.

The first thing to do is to call them "peahen eggs" ............. peacocks don't lay eggs.
smile.png

Incubation is 28 days. Otherwise, treat them the same as chicken eggs.

Quote:
Ok thanks. I would have called them peahen eggs but I thought both male and females were called peacocks lol. I didnt know because I have never dealt with peacocks/hens before and dont know the correct terminology for them. Although I should have since ive dealt with chickens my entire life and I know that roosters are sometimes refered to as cocks. I should have put it together and realized that "peacock" refered to the male.

I have been wanting to do the same.. but I have to wait until I move
sad.png
hmmpf...
But I have been wondering... with my Silkie chicks in the brooder... Has anyone ever tried letting a Silkie brood the Peafowl eggs? Someone said they will sit on any kind of egg, turkey, ect... Or would their little Silkie butts fall off the eggs?
lau.gif
But would they be able to turn them? How many would fit?

Quote:
Ok thanks. I would have called them peahen eggs but I thought both male and females were called peacocks lol. I didnt know because I have never dealt with peacocks/hens before and dont know the correct terminology for them. Although I should have since ive dealt with chickens my entire life and I know that roosters are sometimes refered to as cocks. I should have put it together and realized that "peacock" refered to the male.

Males and females together are called peafowl. The male is the cock and the female is the hen
smile.png

28 days incubation, everything else is the same as chickens.

Quote:
It would probably be better to have a hen of some sort hatch them since they aren't the smartest babies when they hatch
smile.png
Just make sure 'mama' is wormed regularly so she doesn't inadvertently pass something on to her peachicks.

Oopsie.. Just realized I said "brood" the Peafowl eggs instead of "incubate" LOL... just wanted to clear that up.. Thanks for your advice Shelley
big_smile.png
Did you mean that they would need a Peahen instead of a chicken hen? How are the Peachicks stupid? Eating and drinking wise? I could always bring them in after they hatched to my brooder, because I would probably also put the magority of eggs in the incubator for safety.. I only thought it might be cute to see little Peachicks following a little Silkie about
love.gif
Hehehe!!
I want some Whites, some BS Purples, Burmese green, and Midnights...
roll.png

What kind is your friends, Chickenpoor, IB?

I am about to knock on the door of the folks in the neighborhood to the south and see if they'll sell me some of their eggs from their India Blues... gorgeous birds, but then I'd have to set them this Saturday!

I can hear my wife now, "Those chicks are huge, what kind of chicken is that?"
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom