How to incubate peacock eggs?

Quote:
well really its peafowl eggs, you don't call chicken eggs....hen eggs's

Lot harder to hatch than chicken eggs,

Yes 28 days, but some southern state they say 26 days. Hatch best under a broody hen for a week then moved to incubators. humidity higher the last 3 days. 99.5 forced air 101 top of egg in still air.

Hatch about like turkey eggs if you have done those.

turn eggs alot, more than chickens 5 times per day works good, or more. Most people lose them right before they hatch,

Kind of incubator you have ?

Quote:
Lot of us peafowl breeders use both chicken hens and incubators, and yes peahens too.

Beg to different peachicks are not stupid....but need raised diffent than chickens, like turkey. Best also to raise then off the ground, feed a medicated turkey starter, or gamebird.

Best to post in peafowl section, get alot more knowledge from those that have hatch them.........

14880_peacocks_017.jpg

Please post on how your hatch goes. I totally want some peafowl. Dh says no but I could always slip some pea eggs under a broody hen and see how long it takes him to notice LOL! Probably be awhile
big_smile.png
By then he will like them as much as all the other birds we have.

Squishy: I think they are India Blue.

deerman: I have a homemade incubator. I have set eggs in it twice already and had great success so maybe I can hatch the peafowl eggs.

Quote:
No, you could use a chicken hen but just make sure she is wormed good. Peafowl are very susceptible to blackhead, which is passed through the stools of chickens. It (blackhead) doesn't bother the chickens but it's deadly to peafowl and turkeys.

Quote:
No, you could use a chicken hen but just make sure she is wormed good. Peafowl are very susceptible to blackhead, which is passed through the stools of chickens. It (blackhead) doesn't bother the chickens but it's deadly to peafowl and turkeys.

thumbsup.gif
same reason best not to raise with chickens also.

My own experience...
I've got 4 peafowl. Two males. Two females. Funniest birds ever, compared to my chickens. They share the same run as my chickens. But I got them all at about the same age. Not sure if that makes a difference or not though.
I feed an All Flock sort of feed. Higher in protein because that's what peas require.
My DH observed a pair of peas fighting over a frog one day. Must have been tasty.
sickbyc.gif

They do require lots of property. Fortunately, I live in a neighborhood that welcomes them (except for my recently new butthead neighbor who threatened to kill my birds which I in turn called the police to report the threat). They regularly go between my place and my neighbor's place up the street from me. She's got a couple of peacocks, too. They can be very loud. Mostly when they are lost and trying to find each other, though. I'm actually looking forward to mating season. I love the sound of their mating calls.
And I do personally think that they are dumb as dirt!
hide.gif

I've spent the last year with my peas and observed some of the dumbest behavior possible with these guys! They'll fly over a fence and will spend all day trying to figure out how to get back. My chickens on the other hand?
I compare my peas to most super models...all looks until you get to know them.
wink.png
Regardless, I love my peas!

Quote:
Not all chickens are carriers of blackhead, plus keeping your chicken wormed. will help keep them from getting it also. Some area have alot more trouble than other. but it only take one chicken to be a carrier, so you can see the risk, plus they get blackhead from eating worms and etc.

I see everyone is saying 28 days for incubation; does this include when you stop turning them or do you stop turning them on the 28th day then they hatch after that???

Back
Top Bottom