Sponsored Post How to: Introduce new birds to your flock

I need help. This is my first time on this site. I have 2 roosters and one hen in my existing flock, bringing in 5 hens. They have been in the coop together but separated for 4 days. When I let them mingle for the first time my roosters chased the hens and plucked feathers out. My hen was fussing too. Do I let them figure it out or wait more days.

Two roosters and 6 hens is not a good situation. Generally they suggest one rooster for every 8-12 hens. The boys are just telling the gals they're in charge. That is normal. It is hard to see but unless they're hurting them, they're just doing their thang as roosters it sounds like. I would put one of the roosters away from the rest and let one claim all the gals. You could let the one rooster have one new gal and the one old gal together for a while. Putting 5 new hens in with the one poor hen is hard on her. Let her get used to one new one at a time and gradually add in the new hensI would try to get more hens or give the second rooster away.

Hey y'all wondering if anyone has had a similar situation as mine...

I got Pearl my sweet loving Bantam Americuana in October of 2015 when she was about 8 weeks old I was entirely sure when I got her because the girl in the store didn't speak much English. Anyway she has just started laying a couple of days ago in April 2016. In March I picked up 6 new chicks and I built a new chicken coop to house them. Now these chicks are standard size chickens and at 5 weeks are almost as big as Pearl, I have two Arucuanas, Peggy & Oleander a Welsummer named Willie, Violet is a Australorp and Prim and Scarlett are Laced Wyandottes. Since Pearl was a lone chick I would love to have her intergrate with the new flock. I wonder if anyone has any insight on how best to do this. I have Pearl in her original little two story rabbit hutch structure and the little ones are in there new much larger coop with attached run. So far I have kept them together a couple times with my supervision and there as been a little pecking which I gather is normal. But if any would has any advice it would be much Appreciated!!!!

I'd say if they are the same size go ahead and introduce them sinc we there are more newbies than the older done it should be ok. Always intro them slowly like let them free range together for a bit everyday before putting them together. I was told it's a good idea to put them into the coop at night as well I'm going to try that this time. I ha e 4 chickens over a year and 4 new 5 week olds. Right now they free range separate and see eachother. Next step is to free range together and the. Pin the small ones with the large ones

I have found that the best time to release new birds is at night when they are roosting. Try not to disturb any of them and just set them in the coop/ bar/ tree and then wake up extra early the next day to check on them, and routinely check on them throughout the day. I have tried multiple other ways but there is always casualties, this is the only way I have found that works.

I have a question. I have 2 hens that are about 4yrs old. I recently got 4 chicks (march) and they are near 10 wks old now. I put them out little by little in a box covered w/wire for a week (they were getting too big for the box in my bathroom) or so a few hrs a day and put it next to the dog kennel the other girls are in. then I transitioned to inside the kennel but still sectioned off for about a week or so. I finally took the wire down and the poor things still huddle in a corner when the see the big girls coming. I realize there is a pecking order. I separated them again and am wondering if that will just set the process back or if, as long as there is no bloodshed I should just leave it go?

I have a question. I have 2 hens that are about 4yrs old. I recently got 4 chicks (march) and they are near 10 wks old now. I put them out little by little in a box covered w/wire for a week (they were getting too big for the box in my bathroom) or so a few hrs a day and put it next to the dog kennel the other girls are in. then I transitioned to inside the kennel but still sectioned off for about a week or so. I finally took the wire down and the poor things still huddle in a corner when the see the big girls coming. I realize there is a pecking order. I separated them again and am wondering if that will just set the process back or if, as long as there is no bloodshed I should just leave it go?

Sounds okay right now. Your ratio is good. You don't want 4 chicks in with a lot of hens so that is good it is 2:4. Just keep introducing themselves to each other and watching them. Usually the hens just show 'em who's boss and doesn't hurt them. Been my experience any way. Make sure the chicks have room to run away and stick together. I usually introduce my chicks to hens at about 4 months old. My chicks are 10 weeks old too and I have been letting them out in their own yard with the hens on the other side of the fence in their yard. They are in the same coop but separated by fence. I will probably start introducing them to the hens in about a month. I usually let the chicks out in the yard by themselves first so they can figure it out and then let a hen or two out to be with them. I have a system/yard/coop area that I can do that with. I realize not everyone does. That is so important when figuring out plans for a coop and chicken yard (have a system for chicks and gradually introducing them to an established flock, have an area for a sick one or broody one, etc.) Good "luck". :)

Thanks. Took the chicken wire down again today. Seems a little better now. The little ones were actually on the other side of the prison yard lol. Happily exploring. They don't like going in the coop at night because one of the hens will grumble and carry on with them for a minute untill i give them what for. They settle down fairly quickly though

Hi, all,
We have got 6, 10 week old pullets, and 5 three year old hens.
So far, we've fenced off an area of the "older girls" run, and made that the nursery for our "peeps/little girls."
They've been getting to know each other slightly, and there's no big signs of aggression...yet...

But anyway, I just had a question about feeding. When we finally let the little girls in the run together with the big girls, they shouldn't be eating the layer feed, right?
So how do we make sure that they get their grower feed, and the big girls get their layer feed. (Hopefully that wasn't too confusing.)

Any advice?

~SuperChickRuth

Many on this list have a "mixed" flock as do I.

I have found that offering free choice "All Flock" (20% protein), along with a separate feeder of free choice oyster shells, and another with insoluble grit works well from fully feathered chicks on up.

Hi, all,
We have got 6, 10 week old pullets, and 5 three year old hens.
So far, we've fenced off an area of the "older girls" run, and made that the nursery for our "peeps/little girls."
They've been getting to know each other slightly, and there's no big signs of aggression...yet...

But anyway, I just had a question about feeding. When we finally let the little girls in the run together with the big girls, they shouldn't be eating the layer feed, right?
So how do we make sure that they get their grower feed, and the big girls get their layer feed. (Hopefully that wasn't too confusing.)

Any advice?

~SuperChickRuth

When you mix chickens that are still on chick starter with adults on layer, it is better to feed them all chick starter and put out oyster shell for the adults. If the chicks get too much calcium it can harm their organs. I've read that somewhere on this blog. I am in a similar situation. I have 3 month old chicks I want to put in with the adults but am going to wait a bit longer. I do allow them out together during the day to meet the adults and they're doing fine. I just make sure I feed them before I let them out with the big gals and feed the big gals before I let the little ones out. Anyway, when I do mix younger with older, I always "dumb down" the food...feed the chick starter to them all. That way the feed won't harm any of them. I have started 4 month old chickens on layer (White Leghorns usually start laying around 4 months old.) I try to wait until they're laying before I switch them to layer.

Back
Top Bottom