How To Keep Chickens Out of Flower Beds and Gardens

I no a guy that makes chicken tractors to go in between the rows in his garden. He moves the tractor evryday and never has to weed the rows. I thought this was a great idea!!!

I put up a 2ft chicken wire fence around my tomatoes and it was enough. Short enough for me to step over but high enough to deter them.

Here is the only thing we found that works:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87407543@N00/4542262878/

Our girls patrol up and down the fence line every day looking to see if a hole magically appeared.
smile.png

We will remove the fence in the fall.

1. Chickens don't like water - spray the hose at them. My neighbors chickens don't come over as often as they used to and if I just open my door....they run. Wish I had a motion sensor that would start a sprinkler and shut off after a minute, though the hose does work wonders.
2. They do make motion sensor animals - place a few of these around the area you want to keep them out of. Barking dogs... LOUD ones would probably work the best. Though there are some where you can record your own voice.....try different sounds and see what works best.

Good Luck to all of you!!

AHA!!!! I found it! A motion sensor sprinkler. This is is called "The Scarecrow" and it's under $100.00. There are a number of them though I like the description of this one.

Product Description

Those who want to discourage deer, squirrels and the neighbor's pets from feasting on their gardens now have an alternative to setting traps.
The Scarecrow is a motion-activated sprinkler that uses a sensor to detect animal invaders. This triggers a powerful jet of water aimed at the trespasser. The Scarecrow sprays for three seconds, then waits seven seconds. If the animal returns, it sprays again. The product attaches to a standard garden hose and has an on/off switch to disable the unit. The Scarecrow sprinkler head also can be adjusted for a spray or jet water pattern. The effect is both startling and immediate! Animals quickly get out of the area and avoid it in the future. Scarecrows are packaged fully assembled, ready to sell and use.
Better Luck to all now!

Does anyone have pictures of how they fence off the gardens? I'm particularly interested in vegetable gardens where I'll need to get in easily to tend them! I only have one chicken big enough right now to have some run out of the coop, but I have mainly a problem with stray cats eating my cucumber plants! Enroll be watching this thread as will for any ideas!

Oh, and lock up the chickens when planting seeds. My jelly followed me around trying to rest them as I planted! :)

Does anyone have pictures of how they fence off the gardens? I'm particularly interested in vegetable gardens where I'll need to get in easily to tend them! I only have one chicken big enough right now to have some run out of the coop, but I have mainly a problem with stray cats eating my cucumber plants! Enroll be watching this thread as will for any ideas!
Here is a pic of my set-up at my old house:

It is 4' chicken wire and t-posts. What you can't see in the pic is the "gate" at the wood fence side. We made a pole gate, so where the chicken wire ends, we cut it a little long, and wrapped the end of the wire around a wood pole. Then a wire loop in the top and bottom of the wood fence, and the pole went through the loop at the bottom, the loop at the top pulled over it, and it held the wire snug, yet was easy to get in and out. The last section of the fence could then be pulled open back to the first t-post, so I could get the mower in and mow around the raised beds (after this pic was taken, I added a third raised bed between the two that are there above).

You can also see the compost bin sitting just outside the vegie garden. Although the chooks loved to jump up onto the compost bin, and it would have a been an easy "jump" from there into the garden, it never occurred to them.

I had this set up for three years, and at the end of each season, I would open the gate all the way up and let them in there to clean up for me and fertilize for the following year.

Love it! Your garden area looks awesome. Thanks for the idea, I will give it a try. I was thinking chicken wire, but wasn't quite sure how to make it "openable". :) Thanks!

This year I'd like to make a success of both my free range chickens AND my flower gardens!

I've heard these things can keep chickens away. Has anyone had luck with any of these methods??

1. Planting rubber snakes in the bed to scare the chickens
2. Sprinkling cayenne or chili powder
3. Sticking 12-inch wooden kabob sticks with sharp ends pointed up around each new plant (supposedly the chickens hate being poked and will leave the flowers alone)
4. Putting vinegar around the perimeter of the bed

have these tricks worked for you? Specifically #2 & #4?
I always put cayenne in my winter mash & suet to keep the girls warm in the winter (cayenne raises their body temp) and I put the Organic ACV of the Mother in their water- so I know this wouldn't deter mine. I gave up & ended up picking my battles... no pretty flowers where they forage... :( had to get a portable fence for them...

chicken Wire is what I use i make a round little femce for each plant it keeps them safe till big enough that the girls cant kill plant for the most part they leave the fruit alone now i must add this was my first spring/summer growing season with the chickens I will let you know how things go this year

Back
Top Bottom