How to keep ducks and their pen mud free during winter.

At two months, yes, I'd try to keep them above 40F especially at night. I feel that since they are still developing internally, it's a big strain on their systems to try to finish growing up healthy and stay warm at the same time. I'd go with the vet's recommendation.

Impossible to bring the ducks indoors anywhere, they are in an enclosed area at night with a 250 watt heat bulb hanging down for heat, enough room for them to move away or directly under it if they want as well. I also am using my old huge dogloo igloo shaped doghouse as their home filled wiht hay inside the pen . At night the entire pen 6' x 10' x 6' high is covered in a heavy canvas cover, and the sides are all covered in plywood. rarely drops below freezing here at night but when it does they have the heat lamp and rarely below 45 50 in the daytime.thanks

jynxster- They are Ancona ducks. I am very fond of them. I may branch out to other breeds someday, but am trying to get my whole system down with a trio before I expand.

they are very pretty, I am new to the duck world. My two are pekin ans cuyaga mix and one male pekin, I love the black and white, kinda like a cow LOL how much and what do you feed your three, I am always wondering if I am feeding too much or?? thanks

Pea gravel is great, but any gravel you put down on top of dirt/mud will eventually sink into the ground and you are back to the same problem. Put some landscape cloth on the ground where you want to put the pea gravel, then cover it and a little beyond with pea gravel. It will keep the pea gravel from sinking.

MUDDY AROUND WATER.....lay some landscape cloth where you want the water bowl to sit, then pour pea gravel over the top and extend it a little beyond that space. Set water bowl on top and the mud problem is solved at the water bowl. The water will run off...where it runs to depends on where you place the water bowl. I place mine next to the fence so the water runs out of the run. Or, try another BYCer's idea and lay an area in fake grass carpet in the spot under the water bowl. Thought that was a great idea also. However, make sure there are no loose ends on the fake grass carpet as the ducks will pull on loose ends and eat it. Then you'll have another problem if that happens. You have to have something under the water bowl for the water to run off or you will have one big muddy mess.

My whole run is covered in pea gravel, over landscape cloth, over 1/2 inch hardware cloth stapled to the runs wooden frame. My ducks do not eat the pea gravel...they have food & water available in the run 24/7, plus oyster shell in a bowl to munch on at their leisure.

When my ducks are out of the run and outside in their kennels, yes, mud is a problem where the additional water bowl is placed. Cover the area around the waterer with straw to keep the area as dry as possible. They love to make holes in the mud, so beware and don't step into them and twist an ankle. Ha! Ha! Seriously, it can happen. Hope these suggestions help you with your mud problem.

wont the pea gravel be covered in poop after a day or 2?
i find the best way is to keep covering it up with old leaves or pine shavings or straw.

On warm days you just hose off the gravel. When it's too cold, I keep pine straw (long pine needles) over the gravel, and layer it as needed. When it does warm up on freak days, I can hose that off too since it doesn't absorb water like other bedding types. I use pine shavings inside, thicker in the winter. When Spring rolls around, the pine needles rake up easily and we'll be back to just gravel.

Back
Top Bottom