How to kill fleas without killing the Chickens

Yes my dogs are currently on Comfortis and it is the best! I recommend it to everyone. Now if I can just get them out of the yard I will be doing ok!

I took my dogs off Comfortis when I found out the active ingredient (spinosad) is the same active ingredient found in fire ant killer. Maybe there's nothing wrong with that, but I was uncomfortable with it and felt like I was feeding my dogs poison. Out of three large dogs, all three routinely threw up Comfortis once every 3-4 months. I switched them back to Frontline. At least with that one the active ingredient (fipronil) just collects in the oil glands of the skin rather than circulating throughout the whole body. Dunno - maybe the difference is all in my head, but it made me feel better. To each his own, I guess.

Spinosad (organic) is way less of a poison than fipronil (chemical). http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosad

My experience with comfortis has been wonderful. The topical only lasts a week because the cats groom each other. Whatever works for you though.

In my experience yes they are in the yard and seem to bloom in the spring but fleas thrive in carpet. DE works somewhat but it can't get in the layer between carpet and floor. DE in my experience only works against bed bugs and embrace fleas rather than vthose nasty crawly sleep suxkers. But fleas are annoying.

Spray your socks with mint oil before you get there. This will keep them from jumping on you and hitching a ride.

Back
Top Bottom