How to know when my chickens are going to lay

2 of my hens are getting deep red faces. I have noticed over the last week or two how large they have grown. Seems like they fast.

Does anyone have a pic of their easter eggers and welsommers? (hope i spellled that right) I want some points of reference for face and weight. I have an easter egger tht has a small impacted crop full of grass which i massaged and olive oil. Seems to be better but i wonder how under weight she is.

Oh. My last reply was done on an iphone. Terrible spelling errors and words missing. Sorry about that :/

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE...... I GOT AN EGG!!!!!

I stayed up all night cause I'm a night owl and the Dominique was jumping in nest boxes and was casing the joint. So i got out my hammer and tape and built some extra nest boxes for her to have a choice. However I had been up for over 24 hours and had to go to bed so I missed the egg laying. Very sad I say since there was a lot of work put in for this egg.
Now I guess, what should I do with it?

Oh. My last reply was done on an iphone. Terrible spelling errors and words missing. Sorry about that :/

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE...... I GOT AN EGG!!!!!

I stayed up all night cause I'm a night owl and the Dominique was jumping in nest boxes and was casing the joint. So i got out my hammer and tape and built some extra nest boxes for her to have a choice. However I had been up for over 24 hours and had to go to bed so I missed the egg laying. Very sad I say since there was a lot of work put in for this egg.
Now I guess, what should I do with it?

YOU EAT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

What a pretty egg! Yes, you will have to now eat the egg. My third hen, Paprika, is still not producing any eggs and she is just now 22 weeks old. Born at the same time as my other two, but must be a "late bloomer". I waited until I had about six eggs then my husband and I had a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs. It is really nice having the baby monitor in the coop because I can always tell when they are moving the nesting materials around and crooning and then the huge noise of the egg song when they have finally laid the egg. My one hen seems to lay eggs with tiny brown speckles and it washes off so I don't know if it is pigment or if it is blood specks. I use the egg wash wipes and it looks red on the wipe so maybe it is blood specks.

Oh. I wonder. My first egg came with what im guessing is so "stuff on the egg, but the second is clean as a whisle.
Egg whipes huh. What are they used for?

The egg wipes I bought at Tractor Supply. They are from Manna Pro and are called Wipe N Wash egg cleansing towelettes. Kind of like baby wipes for eggs. Each towelette cleans up to 12 eggs. You are not supposed to use harsh chemicals or soap to clean eggs, you can't use abrasive scrubbing or it removes the outer shell protectants, and it has to be the right temperature of water, etc, so I bought these as a way to easily clean my eggs. Mind you, I am not cleaning dozens of eggs a day, just two eggs a day right now......hopefully three before too long.

Oh. I was told to leave them as is until im about to eat them. Also eggs are good for about 5 weeks so im not in a rush to do anything with them.

Another one of my girls just started laying Friday as of the 31st. Blackie the one who just laid her first, and Angel are both the only two laying, still waiting for the others to began. also they seem to favor the same box, when there are two other spots up top. Also when they are fixing to get ready to lay, do their combs flop over before they lay, or is it in just some breeds?

My chickens are supposed to be buff orpington and they don't seem to have enough comb to flop over. They are getting bigger as they get a little older and are now a little bit wavy, but they are still more upright than floppy. You could look at the breeds list and check out the pictures to see what others look like of your breed type.

Back
Top Bottom