How to know when my chickens are going to lay

All three hens are similar and I would think they came from the same hatchery to Tractor Supply. Since I paid more for Rhode Island red pullets and I figured out they not really look like RIR chickens I was initially thinking that they were red sex linked. All of them did turn out to be females and that is the easiest way for the stores to know the chicks sex. They were really yellow colored as chicks too, not at all like the RIR chicks I have seen in pictures which are more orange/reddish brown as chicks. I thought they were red star for a while, but they are not very red, more orange. When I went back to Tractor Supply the woman at the register told me they were probably Orpington Buff and since their behinds are so puffy, I thought that made a lot of sense, see behind picture below. However, when you look at the Golden Comet sex linked, the white/orange feathers at their neck look amazingly like the Golden Comet. So, it is a toss up, however, they are laying an egg a day, extremely social and friendly, and very curious about everything. That kind of sounds like Buff Orpington from what I have read. So what is everyone else's opinion?

Everybody wanting to follow my husband in the house!!! Dachshunds don't chase the chickens, but chickens usually chase the dachshunds!

All three hens are similar and I would think they came from the same hatchery to Tractor Supply. Since I paid more for Rhode Island red pullets and I figured out they not really look like RIR chickens I was initially thinking that they were red sex linked. All of them did turn out to be females and that is the easiest way for the stores to know the chicks sex. They were really yellow colored as chicks too, not at all like the RIR chicks I have seen in pictures which are more orange/reddish brown as chicks. I thought they were red star for a while, but they are not very red, more orange. When I went back to Tractor Supply the woman at the register told me they were probably Orpington Buff and since their behinds are so puffy, I thought that made a lot of sense, see behind picture below. However, when you look at the Golden Comet sex linked, the white/orange feathers at their neck look amazingly like the Golden Comet. So, it is a toss up, however, they are laying an egg a day, extremely social and friendly, and very curious about everything. That kind of sounds like Buff Orpington from what I have read. So what is everyone else's opinion?

Everybody wanting to follow my husband in the house!!! Dachshunds don't chase the chickens, but chickens usually chase the dachshunds!

This one right here is a red sex link:

This one here is a Buff Orpington:

Golden Comet:

So I believe they are Red Sex Link. Beautiful girls too! I could be wrong about the breed though. I searched up each breed you said showing in each of the pictures I showed :) Good luck!

In both the Red Star breed pictures and Golden Comet pictures there are pictures of hens that look just like mine, so I think they are the sex linked hens too. It would make sense for the hatcheries to sell bulk chickens to Tractor Supply as sex linked rather than sexing the chicks. The big puffy behinds on the one hen could be because it was crossed with an Orpington Buff. Maybe all hens look like that and I just don't know because I do not have enough experience with it. Anyways, I am so happy with my girls it really does not matter. Thanks for looking at my pictures.

I have heard that the Easter Eggers are nice hens and hatch pretty eggs - do you like them? I don't know anything about the Lakenvelders. Since I could only have a few hens, I wanted them to be the same. If I had a bigger yard and more space, it would be nice to have some different breeds. I love the look of the black chickens with the orange/tan striping that look like Halloween. My purpose though is just to have the freshest eggs possible and know what my hens are eating. My mindset would have to change in order to raise and eat my chickens. My parents grew up on farms and they don't have any hesitation about raising and eating chickens but it makes me feel a little bit funny about that. I guess if I was raised in the great depression, I would have been happy to raise chickens to have something to eat..........

I have heard that the Easter Eggers are nice hens and hatch pretty eggs - do you like them? I don't know anything about the Lakenvelders. Since I could only have a few hens, I wanted them to be the same. If I had a bigger yard and more space, it would be nice to have some different breeds. I love the look of the black chickens with the orange/tan striping that look like Halloween. My purpose though is just to have the freshest eggs possible and know what my hens are eating. My mindset would have to change in order to raise and eat my chickens. My parents grew up on farms and they don't have any hesitation about raising and eating chickens but it makes me feel a little bit funny about that. I guess if I was raised in the great depression, I would have been happy to raise chickens to have something to eat..........
They're pretty chickens the Easter Eggers, good company, I'm not raising mine for food lol work to hard on them and I wouldn't be able to eat them no matter how hungry I am. So far I've got green egg and aqua from one of the Egger Girls. I've got 10 girls. My Hen, Angel she takes a break, normally she's laying everyday, and she'll take a break not lay for a day, and then the next day the egg is all messed up and wrinkley. D: She seems happy though very vocal

Mine laid her first egg yesterday.she hatched out on September 21.so that makes her just shy of 5 months old.she has been visiting the nest for the last couple of days.she was scratching around in the nest box yesterday morning.when i got home from work yesterday evening.Oh what a exciting moment their was a very small egg nestle in with the rest of my pullets eggs.mine is a white rock also.

Hi there My little Cloe had layed her first egg on Thursday, Friday and Saturday last week, now for the last 24 hrs she hasn't layed anything. Should I be concerned> and is this normal when she first starts to lay? She's her normal active self, walking around, eating well, resting well. What can i do?

Debbie

Back
Top Bottom