How to manage flock while on the go

ctcasper

Songster
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Minnesota
I have a flock of 12 or 13 hens and a roo in a coop and I want to know if anyone has any advice on having a flock and not being home that much. My husband got a new job with road construction crew and we will be staying with him at the hotels. I want to keep my flock but I have concerns about feeding and watering only once or twice a week and about how to deal with keeping the eggs from getting broken when only being collected that often. We thought about having the eggs roll away somehow when laid, how do the bigger laying operations do it?

Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks
Tara

Got great neighbors you trust? Or kids locally you TRUST and who maybe dogsit or babysit looking for money?

I think that's probably your best bet.

I'd also check out a local boy scout troop, and local 4H'rs and see if you could trade eggs or low cost get somebody to come yank eggs every day.

Personally I wouldn't eat eggs that weren't gathered at least every day in summer, every other day in winter. But I'm a freak.
big_smile.png

Auto-waterer that supplies fresh water from a live water line.
Feeder that holds 25# of feed.
Someone to check on them every 2 days and collect eggs in trade for keeping some of the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom