How to pack quail Eggs for shipping?

satay

oz-e-chick
15 Years
Sep 2, 2008
Esk Qld Australia
I live in Australia and am just starting to get orders for shipped quail eggs. I did a test post to a lovely friend on Byc. While most survived the journey ok I think I could find some better advice on shipping from those that do it often. I have yet to find anyone in oz that sells cardboard quail cartons. So if you are willing to share some tips with me and others and pics if you have any that would be greatly appreciated.

I wrap each egg first in tissue paper then in a layer of bubblewrap so that they are double wrapped. I then place them in a regular chicken egg carton surrounded by shredded newspaper to hold them in place during transit. I also place a layer of shredded newspaper between the top of the eggs and the lid of the egg carton (I cut the lid of the carton off). I then wrap the whole egg carton in a layer of bubblewrap and place it in the shipping box surrounded by shredded paper on all 4 sides. I've shipped many quail eggs this way with very minimal problems.

I received my first set of eggs shipped like this:

Each egg had a small piece of bubble wrap with one piece of tape, open at the ends for breathing
Eggs were wrapped in bubble wrap in a long tube of 6
the tubes were then wrapped in rows of two and taped
box filled with shredded newspaper with about 10cm of space all the way around the bubble wrap, space filled with paper

The nice lady that sent them did such a good job! Not a single damaged egg

Oh, and they were wrapped big end up, with the box marked 'This way up'

Hope that helps :)

I wrap each egg first in tissue paper then in a layer of bubblewrap so that they are double wrapped. I then place them in a regular chicken egg carton surrounded by shredded newspaper to hold them in place during transit. I also place a layer of shredded newspaper between the top of the eggs and the lid of the egg carton (I cut the lid of the carton off). I then wrap the whole egg carton in a layer of bubblewrap and place it in the shipping box surrounded by shredded paper on all 4 sides. I've shipped many quail eggs this way with very minimal problems.

Do you only put 12 quail eggs in a carton or do you add more?

I received my first set of eggs shipped like this:

Each egg had a small piece of bubble wrap with one piece of tape, open at the ends for breathing
Eggs were wrapped in bubble wrap in a long tube of 6
the tubes were then wrapped in rows of two and taped
box filled with shredded newspaper with about 10cm of space all the way around the bubble wrap, space filled with paper

The nice lady that sent them did such a good job! Not a single damaged egg

Oh, and they were wrapped big end up, with the box marked 'This way up'

Hope that helps :)

Thank you :)

I shipped some eggs to West Africa from the US. I knew that I had to protect the eggs from shocks and bumps but also from the temperature extremes. So I started with a medium box. I cut pieces of foam insulation they sell at Home Depot. It was the thick R50 stuff but the whole 4 x 8 sheet was only $17. I cut pieces for the bottom, top , and all sides. That gave me the thermal protection and also made the box stong STRONG. Inside of that I put hay and plastic packing peanuts. I used a Nike shoe box in the center of all this for the eggs. I bought a 5 ft section of foam pipe insulation for less than $3. I cut the pipe insulation into 2 inch sections and stuffed the eggs inside the pipe insulation sections.I set the eggs inside the pipe insulation in the Nike box small side down. I filled the nike box with hay closed the lid of the Nike box and filled the outer box with a few more plastic peanuts, and another section of the thick insulation foam. Then I taped it all up. It survived the trip to Africa and there was not one egg broken. We are hoping for a good hatch and I feel pretty confident that it will all work. If you want to run another test batch we could trade eggs. Another idea I thought about was to toss a digital thermometer in the box somewhere to record the high and low temps of the trip.

Here are some photos
This is the R-50 rigid foam panel that I got at Home Depot for about $17. It is about an inch and a half thick. I used this to line the outer box. It made the box STRONG and adds a lot of thermal protection . I measured and market with a T-square then cut it with a razor knife. Annie inspects. As you can see, I didn't use much of the board for the first shipping adventure. Maybe 1/8th of the total board. This stuff is light (like feather) and strong (like bull) .

Pipe insulation. 5 feet is about $2. You can get it in all different sizes. The black foam on the floor is a little more expensive and is the right size for chicken eggs. Just cut it a little bigger than the egg and stuff the egg inside.

The foam sleeve is a little larger than the egg

Just push the egg inside the sleeve.

I put a sheet of foam on the bottom of the box, then stack the egg sleeves on top and pack them in so they don't bounce around. Then put some plastic peanuts or more foam on top

Here are some photos
This is the R-50 rigid foam panel that I got at Home Depot for about $17. It is about an inch and a half thick. I used this to line the outer box. It made the box STRONG and adds a lot of thermal protection . I measured and market with a T-square then cut it with a razor knife. Annie inspects. As you can see, I didn't use much of the board for the first shipping adventure. Maybe 1/8th of the total board. This stuff is light (like feather) and strong (like bull) .

Pipe insulation. 5 feet is about $2. You can get it in all different sizes. The black foam on the floor is a little more expensive and is the right size for chicken eggs. Just cut it a little bigger than the egg and stuff the egg inside.

The foam sleeve is a little larger than the egg

Just push the egg inside the sleeve.

I put a sheet of foam on the bottom of the box, then stack the egg sleeves on top and pack them in so they don't bounce around. Then put some plastic peanuts or more foam on top

2 thumbs up Steve.

Back
Top Bottom