How to protect against hawks

I feel terrible. My ignorance caused the death of my favorite chicken. I just started up in a new home and I didn't factor in hungry Hawks. My English Orphington Splash Rooster was killed. He was 13 weeks and too big for the Hawk to carry off. I feel bad cause I don't think I gave the kids enough coverage from the Hawks. The hawk flew into the open door coop and thrashed up my Welslummer rooster and Golden Laced hen. I'm off to home depot today to get hooks to hang up some CD's, getting a few bushes to put around the coop, a doggie door that I'm going to cut up like this

I am also going to up a bird netting above the chicke

n door out about 3 feet with steaks. It's a start!

I live five miles from the Ocean in Texas. We are surrounded by birds. I love it, but it's coming with a bit of a price.

Rest in peace little Pepper!

Sadly, til something tragic happens we have all been guilty of some ignorance causing harm to our chickens. I know in the beginning, I lost a few birds cause I wasn't aware they had so many predators.
So sorry about your birds, he was a beauty.
But wasn't that door just to keep out sparrows and such? And my barn swallows would still be able to use that door.

@Bob G , yes, you use fishing line (or whatever) and hang the CD's from trees or the coop/run.

While these things can help, sadly, I think a really hungry hawk will soon learn that the crow (or owl) is fake, and even perhaps learn to ignore the CD's. It might help to move the crow/owl statues around every 2-3 days.

The best defense for flying predators is well secured avian netting over the run a (wire is even better but more work to install).
I read one post where the hawk flew right into the netting and still damaged the hen, but I think if the netting is pulled taut, it should work. A hawk tried to get through mine, but ended up having to skim over it and head for the trees.
Next would be fishing line strung in a star pattern, or back and forth across a run or open area; perhaps ~8" apart. This can be done, but might be hard to execute over an entire back yard.
Hawks are so bad, year round, in our area, that I set up a 'daytime' run with U posts + deer netting on the sides and avian netting from Amazon over the top, with a tree in the center for support. This area won't work at night, but by then the chickens are in their secure run/coop.

For free ranging backyard chickens, I think a lot of shrubs, picnic tables, dog houses, plywood on cinder blocks, etc., are your best bet.
These do interfere with the flight path of most hawks (not the smaller 'chickenhawks', or Cooper's hawks necessarily).
Of course a good rooster is also great insurance, but many of us aren't allowed to have them.
Livestock Guard Dogs are also helpful, but again, not practical for everyone.

Each situation and yard is a bit different!

I lost my dominique to a coopers hawk yesterday. I feel so bad. The hawk has been around all day trying to get into my run to get my other girls. They were free ranging yesterday and he attacked my dominique and i never heard a thing :(

I lost my dominique to a coopers hawk yesterday. I feel so bad. The hawk has been around all day trying to get into my run to get my other girls. They were free ranging yesterday and he attacked my dominique and i never heard a thing
sad.png
Cooper's hawks are small but wily and good at getting through tight spaces, sadly.
You hear some folks wondering if the smaller Cooper's hawks can get adult birds. While they might not be able to carry them off, this shows they can still kill or maim them.
sad.png

So sorry to hear this.

Yes i wasn't sure what got her at first but the hawk has been back all day trying to get in my run to get the others. They were free ranging yesterday and it got my girl. Not sure what to do now. Thinking of extending my run.

I came home today to another hawk attack. 5 total kills in 2 weeks. The first two were the same day. (Birds were free ranging during the day) The next day we came home to the hawk in the run. He apparently hit the avian netting so hard he broke into the run and killed #3. We reinforced our run. Stopped free ranging. Today two more kills. He killed/pulled them through the fence somehow! I would have thought it was a different predator if I hadn't seen him with my own eyes. :( Any ideas?

Man that worries me. We are putting up chain link fencing tomorrow to extend the run. The run we have now is very secure but we want to make a secondary so they have access to grass. We arent sure how to cover it yet. I was hoping they could roam in there and he ok against hawks when I'm home (will put in more secure run when not home)

I encourage you guys to watch your hawks and how the chickens react to them. That will provide insight into how the chickens can be better protected.

As for the need for grass, if practical, then release birds only at end of day and stay with them until they go to roost. It does not more than 30 minutes for chickens to fill up on greens. Also consider sprouting some green. Be prepared to see hawk off if it does come.

Back
Top Bottom