How to protect against hawks

bmt123

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 5, 2013
So when my four barred rock pullets grow up I would love to let them free range in my fenced in 1/3 acre backyard. Unfortunately we live in front of a big marshy pond which is home to several different hawks. I would love to know if there are any ways I could protect my chickens besides putting them in a enclosed run.

There are no guarantees on keeping them safe from hawks. Some things you can do to help is to give them lots of places they can run under to hide when an attack starts like bushes or wood piles with easy low access. You can try to put poultry netting over an area of your yard but then you would have to close them in that area creating a "run".

I'll have to wait to get something to cover the holes. Im qorried a out the chickens digging out. My brahmas are big time diggers. My run now is super secure and nothing it getting in it. Going to attach this fencing to that so they can use both runs

Worked all day putting up netting over the top of the entire area I have open for my chickens. I also put an owl up on a branch of a tree hanging over top. I really hope this works, the girls have been out since I finished. I still keep jumping up to see if they are ok.

Read somewhere that's hawks won't mess with full grown hens is that true

While a full grown chicken is more of a challenge and maybe a little less likely to be attacked by a hawk, no, it is not true and I know this to be fact first hand. A friend of mine has lost several full grown chickens to hawks.

If you choose to free-range your flock, there are no guarantees of avoiding hawk attacks. I do agree with the above poster that having plenty of cover helps a great deal. Shrubs, plants, and different structures can offer quick places to hide. The decision to free-range should be measured with risk. Obviously, if one has a large flock that can handle the periodic loss then free-ranging may be the very best choice. If one has a small flock consisting of a dozen or less birds, then periodic losses can be devastating. It might be beneficial to have a fairly large enclosed run and offer limited, supervised free-range time. Since you have four pullets, you have to way the risks/benefits. (If roos are legal where you live, then it may be wise to add one to your flock. A good roo will offer good potection and alerts to his ladies.) -best of luck with your decision!

Last edited:
Young chickens and hen-only flocks are particularly susceptible to hawk predation. Addition of a full adult standard sized rooster can help with some types of hawks. Cover as already mentioned can help, especially with adult rooster.

Back
Top Bottom