How to protect my female ducks from males in spring

sjm123456

Chirping
May 18, 2016
Idaho
My drake recently passed away and he was great at fighting away the other male mallards that flew into our yard. I now have two female mallards and 2 female runner ducks. Even though its only fall I'm still worried about what I should do to protect my ducks from aggressive drakes. Should I get another drake, and if so what type of duck is best for my situation? Thank you and any help is appreciated!

Getting another drake could work, but it might not if you end up with a meek drake that doesn't fight off the others. My current drake is a total wimp and runs away from other drakes.

Im considering getting a goose. I was wondering though if he could hurt our females and if they make alot of noise?

Im considering getting a goose. I was wondering though if he could hurt our females and if they make alot of noise?
A gander will mate with female ducks mine did and still will if one gets in the pool with him. My gander has a goose mate too. But he can't resist a female duck who comes on to him. When breeding season starts they will too. They can be noisy too. If you want a goose go with a female.

We recently had Drake over mating problems too
sad.png
Our issue was that we had too many drakes for the number of hens we have. We ended up eating one and giving away the other. How many drakes and hens do you have?

I dont own any drakes, my only one recently died. Some wild drakes fly into my yard and mess with the females. I want to get a drake to bond and protect my females though

Back
Top Bottom