How to scare away hawks?

There is no way to scare off hawks. When natural prey is scarce, they will go after chickens and ducks, and they will eventually succeed. A secure, covered run is the only way to secure them, but many people who free range accept that there will be some losses. Certainly lots of cover and having roosters can help.

There is no way to scare off hawks. When natural prey is scarce, they will go after chickens and ducks, and they will eventually succeed. A secure, covered run is the only way to secure them, but many people who free range accept that there will be some losses. Certainly lots of cover and having roosters can help.
Probably helps that our fierce neighbor dogs kill anything they can get their mouths on so birds usually stay away

When I start seeing a hawk hanging around I take them on supervised walks around the yard or if I can't then I keep them in their covered run till the hawk moves on. I've been told by several people that having a black chicken or two in the flock is a deterrent because hawks don't like crows so they avoid black birds but I can't say if that's true or not. They also make avian netting you can put up over an area but those don't always hold up well if there's a lot of leaves weighing them down in fall or freezing rain in winter. I don't really know of any way to scare them away that wouldn't also scare your chickens.
I had a hawk try to get one of my black chickens.

Back
Top Bottom