How to scare away hawks?

M

Member 671655

Has anyone had success? One of my amberlinks at her old home was attacked by an owl and when she sees a hawk she goes insane bawking and tryinf to scare it off, it works, but I’d rather not further traumatize her. Are there natural methods of scaring them away?

When I start seeing a hawk hanging around I take them on supervised walks around the yard or if I can't then I keep them in their covered run till the hawk moves on. I've been told by several people that having a black chicken or two in the flock is a deterrent because hawks don't like crows so they avoid black birds but I can't say if that's true or not. They also make avian netting you can put up over an area but those don't always hold up well if there's a lot of leaves weighing them down in fall or freezing rain in winter. I don't really know of any way to scare them away that wouldn't also scare your chickens.

We don’t have a run at all. But thanks for the suggestions. We only have a run for our meat birds. The other birds have a free range of our yard. We have a mixed flock. I guess we’re just gonna have to depend on our roosters and keep a closer eye

We don’t have a run at all. But thanks for the suggestions. We only have a run for our meat birds. The other birds have a free range of our yard. We have a mixed flock. I guess we’re just gonna have to depend on our roosters and keep a closer eye
thats the best luck i've had, having a rooster and a place that they can run underneath when he alerts them

When I start seeing a hawk hanging around I take them on supervised walks around the yard or if I can't then I keep them in their covered run till the hawk moves on. I've been told by several people that having a black chicken or two in the flock is a deterrent because hawks don't like crows so they avoid black birds but I can't say if that's true or not. They also make avian netting you can put up over an area but those don't always hold up well if there's a lot of leaves weighing them down in fall or freezing rain in winter. I don't really know of any way to scare them away that wouldn't also scare your chickens.
I have black ducks and hawks don’t even fly over for long

The only thing that keeps hawks away is a covered run. People have supervised free range time and had coyotes and hawks come right on out and snatch a bird while the person was right there. Black chickens don’t make a difference, I’ve had a hawk in my yard go after them. Build a run, otherwise your hen that screams and hollers is your best weapon, she’s wise to watch the sky and will warn the rest of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom