How to secure window open?

fightingbunny

Songster
Aug 9, 2016
Maryland
I have windows that are sort of like this one. Image from my pet chicken:
https://static3.mypetchicken.com/images/product_images/Popup/MPC-068.jpg

What is a good way to secure them open so that in a high wind situation they do not flap around? I did not make the windows super sturdy, so they do torque if you pull on one side. I think wind will break them apart!

I have seen this hinge thing like in the picture, but I do not know what it is or what to buy online. If someone has a handy link to Home depot for it, then I am willing to try it!

I have also seen people use an eye hook and chains to pull up the window. Or a stick propping it open. Both of these seem unstable in wind though.

Thanks for any advice!
Jenn

Attachments

• MPC-068.jpg
    MPC-068.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 17
Post a picture of your window, so that it is possible, as to what to suggest. You may be fearing the wind unnecessarily. If it is that windy for normal things to be unstable, then during such times, close the window shut. When bad wind/weather passes, open up.
I may have some suggestions once I see your actual window. :thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST..... :highfive:

Your looking for a cabinet lid support. They're are different styles. The only problem with those is, it's open all the way or closed. I'm trying to figure out what I'm gonna use also. Right now I use a 2 x 4. I might use a chain so it's adjustable.

I just used a stick to prop it open, so it acted like an awning to keep the rain out. Worked fine! In winter, the window was closed, as it's next to a roost bar. Many years later, when the very old window died, it's been replaced by a removable frame for doubled plastic sheeting in winter. We never got around to building a new window.
Mary

I'm concerned about wind tearing mine off as well. I've seen my patio table lift up, flip, and drop back down here. So they'll need support both ways. I keep thinking I can just make something.

Back
Top Bottom