how to select blue ameraucana chicks as day olds?

Autumn Mama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
British Columbia,
hi all,

this saturday i am adding to my existing flock, and in the mix will be some blue ameraucanas .... if i want a true blue adult, how do i choose the chicks? i am aware that some might be black or splash? or can the breeder only hatch true blue chicks? thanks for any input, sooo excited to add these beauties!!

Quote:
blue chicks are Dark Ash or Grey colored, Black ones are..well Black and Spash look very light grey or almost white, now if one of the parents is splash and the other is black, then 100% will be blues

thank you, i think that is what i am noticing as i scroll though pictures here ... if a chick has those grey shades with white, will that still mean all blue feathering as adults? or would that indicate a splash?

Quote:
well even black chicks will show cream/white Underbelly, so blue ones which are really grey colored will have cream Underbelly and some on the face.. The Only ALL black chicks I have seen are the Ayam Cemani birds, even their chicks all ALL BLACK, but for normal black birds like black ameracauna show cream underbelly

You want a darker grey chick, it will have cream/white underbelly but the body color will be more like a steel or gunmetal grey. Light, misty grey is splash. Blacks are black
smile.png

You want a darker grey chick, it will have cream/white underbelly but the body color will be more like a steel or gunmetal grey. Light, misty grey is splash. Blacks are black
smile.png
perfect visual of what to look for, thank you!! i might get a misty grey for fun. no blacks at this point. if i fall hard for them, i might in order to breed my own.
smile.png
i am getting really excited as i don't have any ameraucanas, but i do have easter eggers and love the blue and blue-green eggs i get now. thanks for replying!

Last edited:
I'm so happy to see someone doing research before they buy--it makes life so much easier! We have so many folks that don't do any research then get all bent out of shape when their bird may not be what was advertised....30 minutes on line before purchase could have helped a lot. Now, you'll go in all confident and have a much better chance of getting what your want.

Back
Top Bottom