How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy - Pictures

Does any one know where to get a chicken necropsy in Maine?
I had a hen drop dead in late October, she hadn't layed in a few months so I assumed it was internal laying.
She had laying problems before, so I grieved and buried her. The flock seemed depressed after she died, and today I found my silkie rooster exactly the same, dead under the roosts, no signs at all.
I'm feeling like a terrible person for not seeing any symptoms, but clearly there is something going on in my flock. Egg production has been almost nonexistent since the fall, but I assumed It was molt.

If it was worms, would that show in a necropsy?

Thanks for posting these instructions on how to send, now I just need to find a lab nearby.

Does any one know where to get a chicken necropsy in Maine?
I had a hen drop dead in late October, she hadn't layed in a few months so I assumed it was internal laying.
She had laying problems before, so I grieved and buried her. The flock seemed depressed after she died, and today I found my silkie rooster exactly the same, dead under the roosts, no signs at all.
I'm feeling like a terrible person for not seeing any symptoms, but clearly there is something going on in my flock. Egg production has been almost nonexistent since the fall, but I assumed It was molt.

If it was worms, would that show in a necropsy?

Thanks for posting these instructions on how to send, now I just need to find a lab nearby.

Sorry for your losses. Yes, worms will be seen in a necropsy. Contact you state vet and ask them what lab to use. http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy!

Someone actually picked up!

I'm posting the info.

If anyone else from my area needs a necropsy on farm animals, University of Maine Orono will perform it with diagnostic, $25. Place the bird in the fridge and drive it up in a cooler in a large ziplock bag. There is a form to fill out as well.

We Don't have that here. I was given the "State Vet for poultry" information when I wrote for help & it's more than 300 miles on the other side of the state.
I'm assuming, that means theres only 1 in our state & now that makes me angry!
I feel I should have the chance to send my deceased in to find out what happened ( but would prefer someone willing to do this testing before they die...) I just can't believe with all that's being spread on this planet, that we are limited to seeing what they HAD/After they've died... Before we can se what they HAVE & what we need to do to fix it while they're still alive!
Not happy with this State right now, Not At All.

Thank you for such valuable information even if from another State. Still Very Valuable.

We Don't have that here. I was given the "State Vet for poultry" information when I wrote for help & it's more than 300 miles on the other side of the state.
I'm assuming, that means theres only 1 in our state & now that makes me angry!
I feel I should have the chance to send my deceased in to find out what happened ( but would prefer someone willing to do this testing before they die...) I just can't believe with all that's being spread on this planet, that we are limited to seeing what they HAD/After they've died... Before we can se what they HAVE & what we need to do to fix it while they're still alive!
Not happy with this State right now, Not At All.

Thank you for such valuable information even if from another State. Still Very Valuable.

There are two labs in WA:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom