How To Sex A Chicken - Wisdom From An Old Timer

I want meat and eggs and hope that this will be the only flock I will ever have to buy
thumbsup.gif

Oh cool! I had no idea, maybe next time I will get some of those since its easier to tell :) Although I heard you cant breed them.
hu.gif

They are sexed when they hatch (why would someone buy a sex link straight run?), because the breeders can instantly tell if it's a boy or girl with 100% accuracy. You can't breed them because the coloring is only different between the boys and the girls when they're parents are different breeds. If you breed them again, you won't be able to tell which is a boy and which is a girl.

They are sexed when they hatch (why would someone buy a sex link straight run?), because the breeders can instantly tell if it's a boy or girl with 100% accuracy. You can't breed them because the coloring is only different between the boys and the girls when they're parents are different breeds. If you breed them again, you won't be able to tell which is a boy and which is a girl.
ok

OMG this thread was hysterical!!!
lau.gif
But of course when I finished reading it I had to go try! My chicks are two weeks old. Supposedly all pullets. Three were sexed at Meyers and two were feather sexed by a local breeder (English Orpingtons - he showed me the difference and boy was there a difference - mind you he was not guaranteeing anything). I did two methods - holding them up and seeing if they dangle or pull up their legs and flipping them over on their backs. Chicks 1, 2 and 3 (Sexed by Meyers) "tested" as pullets but both methods Chicks 4 (Feather sexed) "tested" as pullet by both methods Chick 5 (Feather sexed) "tested" as pullet by dangling method and roo by back method. I'll let you know in a few months! But I'd have to say I put more stock in the wait for a crow or an egg!
wink.png
another update. So far it looks like chicks 1 2 3 and 4 are pullets. Chick 5 is looking pretty rooish! Still early as they are only 5 weeks but it looks like the old wives tales may have called this one! Lol

Here are Pictures. Feel free to vote on gender!
wink.png

Chick 1 - Luna - Turned out to be a Golden Sex Link so we KNOW she's a pullet - dangle and back test said Pullet

Chick 2 - Jiji - Barred Rock. Some thought at 4 weeks she was a cockerel but there has been no further comb development. Darker feathers say Pullet. Dangle and Back test said Pullet

Chick 3 - Ebony - Black Australorp - Folks on the Australorp Breed thread think Pullet. Back and Dangle test said Pullet

Chick 4 - Bella - Blue/Black English Orpington. I'm guess Pullet based on comparing comb to Chick 5. Dangle and Back test said Pullet

And last but not least.....
Chick 5 - Hedwig (maybe needs to be Harry). Looking like a roo to me. Folks on English Orp thread think so too. Dangle test said Pullet. Back test said Roo

Dang - gonna be pretty too!

Here are Pictures. Feel free to vote on gender!
wink.png

Chick 1 - Luna - Turned out to be a Golden Sex Link so we KNOW she's a pullet - dangle and back test said Pullet

Chick 2 - Jiji - Barred Rock. Some thought at 4 weeks she was a cockerel but there has been no further comb development. Darker feathers say Pullet. Dangle and Back test said Pullet

Chick 3 - Ebony - Black Australorp - Folks on the Australorp Breed thread think Pullet. Back and Dangle test said Pullet

Chick 4 - Bella - Blue/Black English Orpington. I'm guess Pullet based on comparing comb to Chick 5. Dangle and Back test said Pullet

And last but not least.....
Chick 5 - Hedwig (maybe needs to be Harry). Looking like a roo to me. Folks on English Orp thread think so too. Dangle test said Pullet. Back test said Roo

Dang - gonna be pretty too!

Pullets except #4 questionable, and 5-but 5 isn't for sure because I don't see a lot of red-I am not an expert just opinions

Back
Top Bottom