How To Sex A Chicken - Wisdom From An Old Timer

RyanAndMeri

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 10, 2007
My wife and I were at the local feed store checking on their new chickens when we were taught a very interesting trick from an old-timer. He says you can hold the chicks up by the scruff of the neck (like you'd hold a baby kitten) and let their feet dangle. He says the males will pull their legs up while the females will always leave their legs dangling.

So we put it to the test. They had some chickens already sexed and we started experimenting, and sure enough the males would raise their feet up and the females would keep them dangling down.

I had never read about this technique online so I thought I'd share the wisdom. I don't know how old the chickens have to be or if it's only certain breeds but it seemed to work on the 3-6 day old chicks from several different breeds.

Oh yes...I had a guy do this for me once at a TSC..by his method I grew out 5 cockerals and 3 pullets
th.gif
wink.png

LOL loved +- 50 margin error. Perfect.

Whenever people tell you tips like that, just ask yourself.. why do the hatcheries NOT use those methods? Sure would save them a lot of money if those tips really were that correct and effective..

No, the hatcheries being ignorant is not an answer.. they have heard of and probably tried everything under the sun.. after all they need to make a profit..

*Maybe it only works on country chickees, city chickees being so cut off from their farm cousins and all & not knowin how they're s'posed to behave when snatched up by the scruff of the neck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom