How To Sex A Chicken - Wisdom From An Old Timer

i was going to say if it lays n egg =female ,crows=mle............ then i remembered that someone posted on here about a hen(that had laid eggs) that was crowing
roll.png

Quote:
Oh.My.Gosh. My job just became SO much more appealing after reading that job description. I hope they are paid well.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
its a string and a ring... just a pendelum. hold it over a already sexed bird to see if you circle over it or it swings back and forth and then go on to the unsexed birds. I will rund now and check my new pullets and my SG.

A needle and six inches of string works too. Supposedly, its the most accurate way. It works on people too! Hold it over your wrist, side to side boy circular, girl. It was 100% at work! We all got a good laugh too!

I/we are first time backyard chicken owners and when we baught our baby chicks at a flee market the seller didnt know if the baby chicks where male or female.I have tryed this method of holding the baby chicks by the scruff of the neck and i think i have 2 female's and one male.
lol.png
. We baught them in hopes they are females so we can have fresh eggs later. I still don't know what breed they are though.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm not so sure there not truth to some of these "hanging" methods of sexing. I work at a commercial layer hatchery for all of 3 days and the hispanic sexing crew would hold up the chicks by one leg and if the lifted the other they went with the shells down the garbage disposal, which is a big part of the reason I quit. this place hatched 10,000 chicks on hatch days so I can't imagine them using an unreliable method for sexing.

Quote:
Poor babies... Can you do this on bigger birds? I can see my babies freaking out... or hurting them... maybe I will just wait for that crow. When did yall get your first crow?

Not only that but an economical waste as well, double neg. in my mind (commercial leghorn roos or not there would be lots of possible outlets DOA). I don't think it works on older birds. I have heard of Egyptian Faymois (?spelling) Crowing at 4-5 weeks and alot of other breeds not crowing until 8 or 9 months.

I also tried that on 17 baby chicks and the results gave me 7 pullets and 10 roosters. Please let me know how yours come out.

Also for tail feather growth certainly doesn't work for all breeds. My mixed shamo's had different length tails and my biggest for sure cockerel has long tail feathers. Feather sexing is probably very breed specific. Why can't this just be easy =(

Back
Top Bottom