How to stop Fox attacks

Alichickens

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2021
I live in a suburban area with no true woods or forest within miles on my area. But there are indeed foxes and coyotes in my area and I'm not surprised as they are both adaptable and opportunistic animals that don't mind human settlements. Out of all the predators I have so far dealt with for my chickens, none have been as difficult as a fox. I have dealt with possums, but luckily possums aren't a issue because they are active in nigh time and dusk where the chickens are locked up in a coop. I have dealt with flying hawks and falcons but the nice thing I feel like is that chickens are pretty good at defending themselves from aerial predators as long as they have cover from bushes and objects. There have also been racoons but they haven't been trouble for my chickens as they haven't so much been active during the daytime like the possums. But Foxes? I have been having a stubborn fox that roams around my neighbor and every few days comes in to try to attack the chickens for a opportunistic snack. The problem with that bastard is, unlike the possum and racoon, this fox attacks at all times of day. I have seen it try to attack during evening hours, morning hours, and evening in the middle of the afternoon where there is clear daylight. This is worrying because I have to be outside of the house to run errands and for work reasons so I can't always stay in the house watching the chickens 24/7. Also, the stubborn foxes jump so goddam high. I have a 4.5 foot tall fence and the fox jumps over it like it's nothing. I one time thought it would be a good idea to keep the chickens in a closed fenced off compound near my house kitchen and the fence was over 6 foot tall but the fox was still easily able to hop and then climb over the the fence with relative ease. When I caught the fox jumping the fence to attack my chickens and chased it away, the fox would play tricks like running away or hiding only to come back 10 minutes later to attack from a different location! There was a few times where the fox would run and jump across the fence when I chased it away and would just casually just lay down patiently at stare at me like it was smirking and acting like it had nothing to lose. And for some reason this fox is not really afraid of me, I walked up to the fox several times where it would be just a few feet across from a neighbor's yard fence the fox would not be afraid. This fox had just killed one of my chickens a few days ago and I would like some help and tips on how to stop this stubborn fox! How do you guys deal with foxes that keep persistently trying to harass your chickens for months? It's like they'll never stop until they kill every single chicken ...

For a long time every month 2 chickens would be taken. (This was when I was really little, like.. so now, I have nightmares about foxes coming and eating my chickens.)
Until we got a dog. And we let the dog roam around the outside of the chicken pen, peeing on it, and we haven't had a fox attack for.... gee, it must be..... 6 or 7 years now. We did have trouble with the dog eating the chickens, but we fixed the pen up so no chickens could escape and that fixed it. The dog also got attacked by our feral demon chicken, Buddy, we she was broody, and he hasn't eating a chicken since then.
If you can't get I dog, I hope someone else has some ideas.

A dog would definitely work, but so does electric poultry netting. It isn't cheap, but it's been fantastic. Easy to set up, easy to maintain, easy to move. It deters pretty much any land-based predator. I live in the woods, and we have foxes, coyote, bears, bobcat, possum - even the occasional wolf. The only 4-legged thing it wouldn't affect at all is a mountain lion (we have those, too). We even use it for our goat fencing.

I agree with getting a dog or an electric fence to get rid of the fox .The only thing worse than a persistent fox is a family of them hunting your chickens together.They can have dens miles apart and are hard to get rid of.

I live in a suburban area with no true woods or forest within miles on my area. But there are indeed foxes and coyotes in my area and I'm not surprised as they are both adaptable and opportunistic animals that don't mind human settlements. Out of all the predators I have so far dealt with for my chickens, none have been as difficult as a fox. I have dealt with possums, but luckily possums aren't a issue because they are active in nigh time and dusk where the chickens are locked up in a coop. I have dealt with flying hawks and falcons but the nice thing I feel like is that chickens are pretty good at defending themselves from aerial predators as long as they have cover from bushes and objects. There have also been racoons but they haven't been trouble for my chickens as they haven't so much been active during the daytime like the possums. But Foxes? I have been having a stubborn fox that roams around my neighbor and every few days comes in to try to attack the chickens for a opportunistic snack. The problem with that bastard is, unlike the possum and racoon, this fox attacks at all times of day. I have seen it try to attack during evening hours, morning hours, and evening in the middle of the afternoon where there is clear daylight. This is worrying because I have to be outside of the house to run errands and for work reasons so I can't always stay in the house watching the chickens 24/7. Also, the stubborn foxes jump so goddam high. I have a 4.5 foot tall fence and the fox jumps over it like it's nothing. I one time thought it would be a good idea to keep the chickens in a closed fenced off compound near my house kitchen and the fence was over 6 foot tall but the fox was still easily able to hop and then climb over the the fence with relative ease. When I caught the fox jumping the fence to attack my chickens and chased it away, the fox would play tricks like running away or hiding only to come back 10 minutes later to attack from a different location! There was a few times where the fox would run and jump across the fence when I chased it away and would just casually just lay down patiently at stare at me like it was smirking and acting like it had nothing to lose. And for some reason this fox is not really afraid of me, I walked up to the fox several times where it would be just a few feet across from a neighbor's yard fence the fox would not be afraid. This fox had just killed one of my chickens a few days ago and I would like some help and tips on how to stop this stubborn fox! How do you guys deal with foxes that keep persistently trying to harass your chickens for months? It's like they'll never stop until they kill every single chicken ...

I posted a similar question about a fox in my yard staring at my chickens,
BDutch posted this response that gave a really good summary of what you can do:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-cloth-apron-or.1508792/page-6#post-25483653

4 way trap with fried chicken ,or hoop cheese or country restaurant style pork cracklings on it .No more fox or you see it blast that rascal.You have the right to protect your fowl.Good day.

Back
Top Bottom