how to tame a rooster

I did this yesterday with my huge black copper maran rooster. It worked. I'm sure I'll have to do it again, but it really worked. It was a better alternative to taking off his spurs, or ultimately killing him.
All this does is make the rooster afraid of you.

It doesn't make him afraid of your kids, or your wife, or your visiting nieces and nephews. It probably doesn't make him afraid of you when your back is turned. It doesn't fix anything.

The problem here is usually bad genetics. Cull the bird and keep one that isn't a danger to people. Breeding human aggressive animals is not a "better alternative". It's the worst alternative.

Last edited:
I also need a rooster as a means of protection for my hens on the farm where I live where we have predators, such as snakes, hawks, coyotes, racoons, dogs, etc. He has done well at his job in the past, which is why he comes after me when I go for the eggs. I have had roosters in the past that were far too docile to be used as a means of protection. What I was looking for was a good, even ground, and I was able to find that with these tips. Since then, the rooster still works as a protector for the hens while maintaining a calm demeanor around me.
Predator protection and human aggressiveness have literally nothing to do with each other. Your rooster isn't attacking you because he sees you as a predator.

I agree to a point. I have only had 2 roosters as part of my flock, one of whom we raised from a small chick. He preferred not to eat treats, as he wanted the girls to eat. He was so sweet & patient that even after taking a drink then eating some food, if he had food stuck to his beak & the girls wanted it, he'd stand still as a statue while they pecked & clucked & chortled. He didn’t want to cuddle but neither was he aggressive toward me. If he needed help getting onto the perch after lights out, he would chirp softly & brush against me so that I could pick him up & put him to bed by the ladies. And I wasn't able to pet him during the day, but at night, I could kiss & pet him to my hearts content. He used to snooze that way, so I don't believe that he was uncomfortable. I don't know if I could've trained him to eat treats, as he was very selfless when it came to his girls. If I were going to try, the clicker/treat method would be my starting point.

My other rooster not only loved to sit on my lap, but loved to be carried around on my shoulder. He was already #2 in the flock, so maybe for him it was more of a cuddle, safety & comfort situation than one of dominance. And he loved our alone meal time when he could eat & drink his fill without worry of being chased. When he did get a little big for his chicken britches, I just stopped and talked to him until that glaze lifted from his eyes. I tried the 'show him who's boss by poking him lightly once or twice' but it just seemed to really tick him off & agitate him more. So for me, just stopping in my tracks & talking him back to reality seemed to work better.

I guess every chicken is different with their own quirks, glitches & personalities, just like people. I like the idea of finding common ground, speaking the same language & everyone living in peace, but for those who can't maybe starting fresh is the best answer. I am just glad that I don't have to think about that & can focus on running an old age home for chickens, lol.

Huh... I wonder what he is, then. I'm very new to chickens and can't really tell one from the other without someone telling me what to look for. He does have very bright, yellow legs when they aren't caked in mud.

My neighbor judges chickens at the county fair and her grandson shows them with 4H. She said he is definitely a RIR because he has reddish-orange eyes and yellow legs. She said that there are some that try to pass for RIR called "production Reds" but she said that they are smaller than my guy. She was confident that he is a RIR. I guess I don't really care, regardless of the breed he's still being as a$$hole.:)

Well, I know I'm going to get yelled at and probably called all sorts of names, maybe even start a fight or two... But the method that's always worked for me: Catch that nasty ol' roo, hold him by his feet, stroll over to the water tank and dunk his head in it up to his shoulders, then send him sailing through the air. He shouldn't attack you again. My great grandpa taught me that as a little kid, it's never failed me yet.

P.S. It's not a stupid question at all.

Last edited:
There are those who will tell you they can't be tamed but I believe they can be. However you must wear protective clothing and remember a chicken explores with it's beak so keep the beak away from your eyes. I suggest you wear levi or carhart pants that won't tear easily, a pair of good gloves, and googles with head covering. remember a large rooster can do real damage quickly so don't be foolish. As you said the rooster wants to fight and show dominance, so with your gear on catch him and tuck him and his wings under one arm. With the free hand reach over and place your finger(gloved) on his beak and firmly press his head down toward the ground. Hold his head in that position for about twenty seconds, if he raises his head repeat the proccess and hold for another twenty seconds. Continue this until he no longer raises his head. The following day he may stear clear of you, if not repeat the proccess until he learns you are the dominant one. Trust me he will learn but do not be mean to him in the proccess no matter how frustrated you get. Promise??? I have roosters that are very large and I have used this method several times. Good luck. Paraclete 2

Back
Top Bottom