How to Tell a Fertile vs INfertile Egg (Pictures)

Pics
Now if you taped the egg back,let say with Duck tape,would a duck grow out of it?

What happens if you used Gorrilla tape?
lol.png

Ok so now i can tell if i crack a fertile egg open, but ... that leaves me with this, when do i leave an egg for her to sit on and when do i not? How long should i wait to see if shes trying to hatch one? The first egg she laid this week >first one shes laid for me< i left with her for 4 days, she wasnt sitting on it non-stop or anything that resembled being broody. I've read how silkies are super broody, but she hasnt snown signs yet. I took that egg out yesterday along with another she laid yesterday. My 3 year old bumped it and cracked it, it had been with her 4 days like i said so we cracked it the rest of the way. I saw the white with the bullseye appearance in the yolk. I would never venture to have consumed it since it had been in the nest for so long. I'm soooooo confused LOL I took a pic of the cracked opened egg, but the glare is horrible and you cant see the white spot very well. I just assumed since she was out in the "yard" all day, she wasnt interested in sitting on it. Was I wrong for removing the eggs?

Quote:
She will let you know when she's broody. You want a fake egg or golf ball in the nest till then. When you find she's sitting on it all the time and refusing to move, possibly growling at you or trying to peck you then she's broody.
smile.png

What you can do till then if the eggs are fertile is collect them every day and write on them in pencil the date collected and put them in an egg carton large end up. Keep them in a cool place but not in the fridge, that's to cold. Ideally you want one end propped up an inch or two and change ends once or twice a day. Over time as you put eggs in you can take the oldest ones out of the carton to use. A week to 10 days at room temperature won't hurt the eggs and they are still safe to consume. When she does go broody just put the fresh eggs you've collected under her.
smile.png

Only other thing I'd add is don't store or set dirty eggs. I don't wash my eggs as I keep the nests clean but if one does get dirty I don't keep that one to set because of possible contamination.

Thank you for the learning lesson, I have always wondered how. Especially when I have eggs shipped to me saying checked for fertility. Next question is.... How can you tell in the shell?
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom