How to tell what sex a little peep peep is.

Lucky Lucy

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
I had a hen that hatched out a little peep peep? How can you tell if it is a rooster or hen. I won't be able to keep him if he is a rooster by other rooster wouldn't allow it.
hmm.png

It's not 100% reliable, but I compare chicks' combs to one another. If they have little bumps, it's a boy. If it looks completely smooth, like nothing is there, then probably a girl. I have six 3 week old chicks right now, and I'm pretty sure that I have 3 boys and 3 girls, based on their combs. The comb differences are more obvious after a week or two.

vent sexing is the most accurate but only works right when they are hatched, before they eat. Feather sexing can only be done on some breeds and is no very accurate.

Most breeds you will have to wait a few weeks to tell. Only breeds of birds that are specifically meant to be feather sexed can be. It doesn't apply to all breeds. Most breeds in about 4 to 6 weeks the combs and wattles of the males will start to grow, the pullets take longer to start growing. Vent sexing can only be done on day old chicks. It is a skill that requires practice and training. The average person doesn't vent sex. I did some research and tried it and it didn't work to well for me. I know there is a special technique to do it correctly.

Certain color varieties are Auto sexing. These include: Cream Legbar (and related colors), all Duckwings, BBRed (which is actually a duckwing), and English Partridge (and related colors)... Basically any color that is genetically not-to-different from the wildtype color (which is Gold Duckwing). The method for sexing these colors is very reliable and has been used for ages: The Cockerels are chipmunk-patterned, but very softly patterned. The Pullets however are rather more pronounced and darker in there pattern. What breed (or at least what color) is the chick?

You could take a picture of the chicks and post it on What breed or gender forum. Also by the time they are 4 weeks old you can usually tell the males from females based on comb size & color. But without knowing the breed or age it would be difficult to guess the sex.

I do the hang test and it works most of the time. Hold the chick gently and let the feet hang down. Let it relax and lean it back and if the the legs stay down it's usually a pullet. If the legs draw up like it's scared to fall then it's a cockeral. Not 100% but it does work a good bit of the time. You should see the people wondering what I'm doing in TSC picking up chicks out of the Straight run tub.
lau.gif

http://www.chickencoopx.com/: "First off, wash hands before handling the chicks. Pick up the
baby chick by the neck with your pointer finger and thumb.
Then, if the little chicks feet try and stick by the body,
it's a female.
If the legs hang all the way down, it's a boy!
It's that simple"

Do not know if it is true, people with more experience could comment please?

Back
Top Bottom