how to you catch a fox???

zatsdeb

Songster
12 Years
Oct 2, 2007
Lincoln, Illinois
we have been losing birds, we think some may be from a neighbors dog, we lost my big white royal palm hen and someone came in the barn and got her. we have fencing around the entire property but had the one fence down to bale hay, and didn't get it back up, so whoever took my turkey hen came through the fence, under a gate that was the only spot, and took the hen who was sitting on a nest in the outer barn, all the other chickens.. and critters are in fenced areas, welded 2"X4" wire.
my neighbor has no fencing and has been losing birds, my other 2 pekin ducks were found down the road, this is before the welded wire around the entire property, they were found dead, but not eaten, no feathers anywere here, the other night we found a chicken in the pasture, thinking that was the fox, my husband left it there and was going to put it in a live trap, but didn't get back out, was cleaning out barns and was pooped, by the time he remembered it we were in bed! the bird was gone at 6am this morning when he went out.
we have 2 live traps to set, and we know there are neighbors with foxes down the road, we had that last year with them living under his barn
what can you put in a live trap and anyone have any ideas the best way to outfox a fox? the neighbors dogs are another story.

Last edited:
DO some googling on the topic of trapping foxes. It's fairly complicated and is best treated as more than a chatty discussion here.

Suffice it to say you have to reach out to them and get them when they arent loooking, in places they don't expect.

Here`s my Recipe. When I need it I always put it out at night and pick it up in the morning before daylight. I warn the neighbors that I`m putting it out and they do what they have to do. If your traps don`t get them, try this. Been using it for years.......Pop

Go to the feed store and get some Golden Malrin. It`s a fly bait used in stables. It is in the equine section and comes in 1 lb and 5 lb cans. Put 1/2 cup of Golden Malrin on a pie tin or styrofoam plate. On top of it place 1 tablespoon of anykind of berry preserves. Very humane. Kills within 10 ft. Put it out in several locations at night and pick up the predators in the morning. Caution, cats will not eat it as they don`t like the chemical smell. Dogs will eat it so put the dog up when The Recipe is out. Don`t get it on your hands. Works on coyotes, fox, coons, possum, etc.

Back
Top Bottom