How Water-Loving are Mallards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. So far, even the critical respondents have somehow indicated that Mallards love water - A LOT (all while indicating all ducks are the same). That is good to know. I do appreciate that.

I would still like to hear from someone who has raised different breeds of ducklings in a hands-on way and have paid attention to their "baths", feeding, activity level, size, etc. Anyone here can type that a duck is just a duck and they are all pretty much the same but I know that is intellectual sloth and unhelpful.

I am expecting the Mallard ducklings to take to the water more enthusiastically than the average of duck breeds. That helps. I can plan accordingly - which was why I posted this thread to begin with - to be prepared and responsible.

If anyone has useful information that will help me accommodate these ducklings better, I am all ears. You may think I come off harsh - and that's fine. I just don't tolerate wasting anyone's time (including mine). I won't apologize for asking a question and not accepting mindless, critical replies.

The fact does exist. Just as general broodiness level does. A duck is not just a duck. They have different characteristics and levels of care or enthusiasm for different things. Some are more broody than others, some are more water-obsessed, some lay more eggs, some forage more than others.

If this is all you have to say (nothing informative or useful) please don't respond.

When someone says simply that a duck is a duck - they are all waterfowl therefore love the water the same, all I hear is blank mind. You know better than that - if you care to.

In the OP I already gave an example of how Cayugas take to water enthusiastically more than other breeds I have raised. Are you saying I'm lying or that doesn't exist? C'mon.

Can we please stop the criticism and focus on information and expanding knowledge?
If you don't want a response from someone here, I strongly suggest you don't reply to her or his post. You may have started the thread, but you don't own it. You hear too much criticism from others? Go back and read your posts and you will see most of the criticism in this thread is from you. You are being provided information, but you just don't like it, or complain it's not exactly the type of reply you want, or someone is not stating something exactly how you want. This forum is not as helpful as it used to be? How sad it's not exactly how you want it to be.

If you don't want a response from someone here, I strongly suggest you don't reply to her or his post. You may have started the thread, but you don't own it. You hear too much criticism from others? Go back and read your posts and you will see most of the criticism in this thread is from you. You are being provided information, but you just don't like it, or complain it's not exactly the type of reply you want, or someone is not stating something exactly how you want. This forum is not as helpful as it used to be? How sad it's not exactly how you want it to be.
Ok. You're right. You win. I'd rather talk ducks.

The OP still stands - interested in hearing from people who have closely raised Mallard ducklings! Mine will be here in a week. If it were Cayugas I would be prepared to give them 2-3 short warm baths/swims a day. If it were Pekins I'd only expect to give them one bath/swim a day depending on how they react of course.

With Mallard ducklings being new to me, I was looking to figure out the logistics of how many times and how long I would need to give them safe warm swims. It includes disinfecting the bathtub after, arranging bathtub time with other family members, etc.

So far, I suppose I will expect as if they are as water-obsessed as Cayugas and will plan accordingly.

Ok. You're right. You win. I'd rather talk ducks.

The OP still stands - interested in hearing from people who have closely raised Mallard ducklings! Mine will be here in a week. If it were Cayugas I would be prepared to give them 2-3 short warm baths/swims a day. If it were Pekins I'd only expect to give them one bath/swim a day depending on how they react of course.

With Mallard ducklings being new to me, I was looking to figure out the logistics of how many times and how long I would need to give them safe warm swims. It includes disinfecting the bathtub after, arranging bathtub time with other family members, etc.

So far, I suppose I will expect as if they are as water-obsessed as Cayugas and will plan accordingly.
😇

Robby, I think many prople who raise ducklings concentrate on keepig them out of the water for the first weeks. Their waterproofing is not very good and when they get wet they get cold. Getting cold often leads to health problems. So, evaluating duckling response to water at two days old just doesn't happen very often.

When you give them a water bowl that they can flush their nares in, all the water is going to end up on the floor. I try to hold off on deep water access but they make such a mess with the water bowl that they usually need a bath to rinse off the crud within a week or so.

But, with that said, wild and feral hens take their young into water within a few days. Some duck keepers, like yourself, do the same. The temperature and length of exposure are probably the important things.

Let us know what you find out.

Robby, I think many prople who raise ducklings concentrate on keepig them out of the water for the first weeks. Their waterproofing is not very good and when they get wet they get cold. Getting cold often leads to health problems. So, evaluating duckling response to water at two days old just doesn't happen very often.

Funny I've been told all through this thread that ducks are waterfowl. They all love water the same. lol. Now its.... 'don't expose waterfowl to water when they are young.'

I know there are many recommendations saying to not let ducklings swim until week 3 or 4. I've tried it all ways.

I have found, though, giving young ducklings a short, warm bath triggers healthy preening. They start to notice their preening gland much sooner. The ducklings I have responsibly exposed to short warm baths have grown quicker and hardier.

When you give them a water bowl that they can flush their nares in, all the water is going to end up on the floor. I try to hold off on deep water access but they make such a mess with the water bowl that they usually need a bath to rinse off the crud within a week or so.

I am well aware. My ducklings have that at all times. Yet, they are waterfowl, right? They do come alive in a controlled "pond" environment.

But, with that said, wild and feral hens take their young into water within a few days. Some duck keepers, like yourself, do the same. The temperature and length of exposure are probably the important things.

Let us know what you find out.

With that absorbed... even domestic ducklings will need water. They are Waterfowl. Right?

I have tried waiting weeks before exposing ducklings to a "bath". Those ducklings seem more retarded (slower) in development. Less hopeful or motivated.

The ducklings I allow short, warm baths seem to feel more alive and enthusiastic to live, eat, drink, walk. In short, there is motivation and life. They won't stop chirping to each other afterward.

I have not lost a single duckling to early controlled swims. In fact - quite the opposite. They seem to wake up and want to move and live. They grow hardier and quicker.

Just an observation. Also, saying ducklings have no water-resistance is BS. They do. Not as much as a well preened and oiled adult, sure. But they can swim and some, very well. (this is why I posted the OP). In the wild, they have to on day 1 or 2. Too many photos of ducklings swimming after their momma in a water body. And they do it.

In a controlled, short warm bath they shoot to the top. Well, half do. The other half (Pekins, etc.) are just somewhat amused.

Hi. At the risk of being chewed out, I'll comment.

I have 5 different breeds, but no mallards (Welsh Harlequin, Runner, Swedish, Saxony, Pekin). I had mine in the water from day 1. Of the 5, the Saxony loves water the most, the Pekin the least. I would have suspected the Swedish or the Welsh to be the most interested.

My Saxony is in the water most of the day. My Pekin has only been in the water a couple of times, preferring to dunk her head in rather than swim.

Most posts/info I've seen have said that it's an individual thing. But I would be inclined to think Mallards would be more like my Saxony and less like my Pekin. I imagine they'll decide for themselves if given free access to swimming water.

Want to add: I didn't think your post was a joke, but there have been SO many fake posts from trolls lately. Like, so many. Usually fromyoung people or folks pretending to be noobs. It's sometimes hard to tell when I'm reading a post whether it's a serious inquiry or baiting. I actually accused someone of posting a fake inquiry just the other day, and it turned out I was wrong. Sorry that seems to be what happened here (although it's now quite obvious you aren't a noob)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom