Hubby may be "let go" from his job of 20+ years...

Chotii

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Seattle area (Kirkland)
...and I'm so scared. I haven't worked outside the home in over 12 years. We homeschool our 4 kids. I *can* go to work, but there are very few jobs I can get quickly that will be flexible AND provide health insurance. And we will need it...hubby has psoriatic arthritis and one kid had all kinds of surgeries and therapies from birth onward...if we ever get dropped, those two at least will never be insurable again.

Hubby's medicine alone is $1000/mo. Right now, our insurance company pays for that. If it stops....well, we'll be hurting, and that's no joke.

He has hated this job for years. He's felt trapped in it for years, maybe decades. He has not been doing well there the last 2 years. But it has paid for everything.....everything. He has applied for a new job inside the company but doesn't have a lot of hope. I have a vague suspicion they put him in a position he wouldn't do well at, so they could justify moving him out and bringing in younger people who don't get paid so much, don't have families to keep them from working 80 hrs/week, etc.

It isn't like I can't get a job...I could get one today, it will just be low paying with very few benefits. There will be Unemployment, presumably. We do have a little savings. I'm scared though. I don't see anywhere else in our budget we can really cut out without being seriously drastic, along the lines of 'canceling the whole-life insurance policy we've been paying into for 15 years, and losing the whole thing'. Though that would happen anyway if we can't pay for it.
hmm.png

I am not a pray-er. But I would appreciate prayers. If not that he gets this new job he applied for, at least that he can find something. And that it will not destroy his ego to lose the thing that has defined him for 20 years. That we do not lose the house we have only 8 years left on the mortgage on. That if we must put kids into the public schools, that they will handle the transition well. I am so scared. It's a whole lot of turmoil.

That is a lot to deal with at once and the uncertainty is what can lead us all in pathways of our mind of utter chaos and destruction.

You say you are not a pray-er but I so shall vouch for you today an intercessory prayer that you may in all your meekness find that you are nothing with out the Lord. And upon that inner reflection may a new "man and woman and family" be born unto Him, our Creator. May hope and a sense of purpose fill your lives and know that what ever trials and tribulations that your family may endure that as long as you have God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost welcomed into your hearts that you will ALWAYS have what you need. May your hearts be changed and may you see more clearly the words spoken in the Gospel. Today is a new day and may you rejoice and be glad for He is alpha and omega. And shall you seek His son, Jesus as your Savior for no one comes upon Him without believing in Jesus, His son. And know that You will one day sit upon Jesus' right side and that God has a place for you made in Heaven.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," Phillipians 4:13

I say this phrase a lot in my head and sometimes audibly when I need to dig down and get through rough patches. You will be a testimony to Him as a loving God and You will realize Your servitude to Your Father and His Grace to spread His word and good news and though your heart shall struggle with doubt and fear from time to time, You will never be alone and His Spirit will be renewed within your hearts and You will find a sense of peace even amidst uncertain times. So shall I come today and raise you up to my Loving Father God in Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Most humbly,
Gretchen

Wow, that is a lot to deal with. I can't imagine a 1k medical bill monthly.
Have you tried your local worksource office? I beleive they have "displaced" worker re-training for free, and a homemaker turned workforce is considered displaced worker. They may have a program suited to you, and they also are plugged in to what is available as far as help goes. You can probably get some free training to make you qualify for a better paying job at the least.
hugs.gif

Fast forward 4 months and you will be in my shoes. DH DID lose a job. Unemployment never pays for much. Kids are on insurance while mine and hubby's medical bills are stacking up. My point is this...we're not dead, starving, or homeless. We still homeschool 2 kids. You WILL find ways to make it, it's just not any fun. We have no satellite T.V. but stacks of old movies instead. The ONLY reason we have internet is because it is a requirement for my Senior student to take Computer Technology this year. We have done a bit of everything from hauling off scrap, to picking acorns...yes acorns, to make money to pull through till the next month. We have sold things we once thought we had to have, to pay a house payment. We have traded things for necessities, cooked every meal at home, and have eaten so many beans and rice meals it's pathetic. We have hunted, fished, and processed those meats in our own kitchen for free meals. If you need ideas on how to cut back...PM me, I think I just about have it down...lol! Don't be scared, there is nothing to be afraid of, just a few adjustments to make. Trust me freaking out only makes it worse!! I hope he doesn't lose his job, but the best thing you can do NOW is start preparing for the worst, and praying for the best! GOD Bless!!!

Yes, it is a lot to deal with BUT I know you could pull through it
hugs.gif
Times of change in our lives are always scary
ep.gif
We've been waiting for DH to be hired on full-time for 2 years. It's hard but we managed to start our own business and it pays the bills....besides DH working PT in Seattle. Do something your good at and enjoy. I will never have another job I don't like.

Back
Top Bottom