Hudson Valley NY *chat thread*

She should be fine with Clyde in charge. Just watch her with the new chicks when they get introduced! I bought some pinless peepers for her but never got to use them. I wonder...do those really work for aggressive feather pickers? Anyone? Oh, and I have a pic of hubby with her on His shoulder. She seems to like people better than other chickens.

Last edited:
Eggcited! Just set 6 eggs in our new mini incubator this morning. Thank you Jerseyhen for this new adventure and answering all my endless questions. Crossing fingers! Now should I really be weighing these eggs or just let nature take its course?

Some weigh them and some mark aircells and some just candle to confirm activity and to find/remove duds. I am a set it and forget it. I candle at 7, 14, and 18 to remive stinkers before the egggsplode... Eeew.

I have 4 green ones if you want to swap out or you can hatch what you have in and i can give you green ones in 3 weeks for another round... ;-)

Last edited:
I went and picked up a new chicken from BarnMom today. I think she likes me :) One of the first things she did when I got her home was fly up and perch on my shoulder..

Then she sat in my lap and took a little nap..

I'm soo happy she likes you. She's such a pretty girl! She wouldn't even come to us. I showed my daughter the pics you texted me and she was so jealous ....she wanted to hold her so bad! At least Frieda is happy now!

I have a question about the 2 older girls I got a week ago. The white leghorn is laying an egg every day. The RIR hasn't layed anything yet. Why? Our friend went with us and got 2 RIRs also. His aren't laying either. Why is this?

WqOhhhh green ones. Yes please! Would you like to bring the family to our lake today?

I would love to, but i am so far behind in my gardening chores. Those have to come first today, followed by finishing the new cooplette... Call later and we can figure out a way to get them to you!

I have a question about the 2 older girls I got a week ago. The white leghorn is laying an egg every day. The RIR hasn't layed anything yet. Why? Our friend went with us and got 2 RIRs also. His aren't laying either. Why is this?

How old are they? Breeds mature at different rates. Leghorns are bred to mature quickly and lay often. RIR, and most other heritage breeds, mature slowly. Some might not lay until they are at 20+ weeks. I have had leghorns lay at 15 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom