Hudson Valley NY *chat thread*

Hi, new to this thread. I'm thinking about moving to the hudson valley, maybe Athans maybe. I want a chicken friendly town. Any advise? Thanks.:D

Welcome new chick! I live down by West Point, so I wouldn't know much about Athans since it's in the Catskills. But your best bet is to give the town hall (they'll probably transfer you to the zoning department) a call and say hey I'm looking to purchase a house in the area what are your livestock laws, and they should tell you what you can and can't have. It also helps if you have some what of a specific address or area to give them cause some towns have a little "city" area and then there's the outskirts of that, so you might be able to have them in one part but not the other. Also sometimes you can look up the town laws online! Can you tell I'm looking to purchase a house too haha! Hope I didn't confuse you!

Welcome new chick! I live down by West Point, so I wouldn't know much about Athans since it's in the Catskills. But your best bet is to give the town hall (they'll probably transfer you to the zoning department) a call and say hey I'm looking to purchase a house in the area what are your livestock laws, and they should tell you what you can and can't have. It also helps if you have some what of a specific address or area to give them cause some towns have a little "city" area and then there's the outskirts of that, so you might be able to have them in one part but not the other. Also sometimes you can look up the town laws online! Can you tell I'm looking to purchase a house too haha! Hope I didn't confuse you!

thanks. I'm no where near having an address, I'm still in the Research faze of this project. I just don't want to waist too much time on towns that are going to be unfriendly to my girls. I guess there's no getting around doing old fashioned leg work.

If anyone has any suggestions of towns they LOVE, let me know.
frow.gif
Thanks.

I totally get it, it's so annoying to find a nice town then to find out that you can't do anything. You can also look up the town online and you can search their codes I've found that pretty useful. Since you're looking in the Catskills I think you're going to have an easier time finding a chicken friendly town. If you go down state a little bit I'm a big fan of Warwick, it has a cute little town and it's a beautiful area. I'm not so sure about the schools though. If you're not restricted to working in NYC then you'll have plenty of places to explore!

2 beautiful roosters up for grabs. 9 weeks old and ready to protect your girls (soon). If you are interested, please contact me. There might be a blue favacuana and a cochin as well.

Back
Top Bottom