Hudson Valley NY *chat thread*

I have the lavender Orpingtons hatching as I type!! Im so excited to see how they turn out!
Today was such a beautiful day out! I hope all you mothers had a wonderful mothers day!!

Hi everyone! I haven't been on here for a while but something happened tonight that has got me really sad. I just got home from work and, like every other night, I checked on my animals. Well, there are no chickens in my coop. There are some white silky feathers near the door but that's all I could see with a flashlight in the dark. I believe all of my chickens have been killed. I'm really hoping that they're somewhere else hiding, but I'm having my doubts. I had 16 chickens.. 1 rooster and 15 hens. They were silkie/golden comet mixes, silkie/white leghorn mixes, a silver laced Wyandotte, a golden laced Wyandotte, a lavander Orpington, some buff orpingtons, 2 white silkies, 2 blue bantam cochins, and an Easter egger . I really hope they're hiding somewhere else! I feel so bad.. I let them out to free range today but I left for work before they went in for the night. I meant to tell my boyfriend to shut them in but I don't know if I did or not. My coop is strong and I've never had issues before, even when the chickens decided to live in my horse barn over the winter when it was cold outside. If the door was shut I think they'd be okay. I shouldn't have let them out today..
I'm afraid to ask...were they hiding?

Happy Mother's Day Ladies~

It has been a busy weekend. We have 11 orpington babies. Mr. Blue the Baby Daddy is a stud muffin.
A couple are orpington/EE mixes too...can't wait to see what they're going to look like!

I hope everyone had a good day!

I'm afraid to ask...were they hiding?

Unfortunately, no. My boyfriend did some investigating and found the bodies of my lavender orp and my rooster in the entrance to the foxes den. So yea, I'm down to one rooster, Fred, my handicapped house chicken.
On a brighter note, when I realized this morning that my chickens were nowhere to be found, I loaded my incubator with eggs I've collected over the past week. I'm not sure which eggs were laid when so I put in 48 eggs.. Watch, I bet they all hatch and half of them are roosters.
I also found a free RIR hen, I'm going to go get her later this week. But she'll be lonely so I asked the guy if he had any other chickens he wanted to sell or give away, but he hasn't replied yet. I'm hoping to get at least a few hens to hold me over on eggs. I was getting at least a dozen eggs a day.
Do you have any hens or chicks you'd like to get rid of?

I have the lavender Orpingtons hatching as I type!! Im so excited to see how they turn out!
Today was such a beautiful day out! I hope all you mothers had a wonderful mothers day!!
woot.gif
Congratulations Lexi !!!

For a Mother's Day surprise, my DH bought me a dozen lavender orpington hatching eggs. They will go in the incubator as soon as these orpington and EE mutts finish hatching. 11 have hatched so far...3 more to go. If these lavender eggs turn out to be an epic failure I'll be calling!

Post pictures of those babies!

Unfortunately, no. My boyfriend did some investigating and found the bodies of my lavender orp and my rooster in the entrance to the foxes den. So yea, I'm down to one rooster, Fred, my handicapped house chicken.
On a brighter note, when I realized this morning that my chickens were nowhere to be found, I loaded my incubator with eggs I've collected over the past week. I'm not sure which eggs were laid when so I put in 48 eggs.. Watch, I bet they all hatch and half of them are roosters.
I also found a free RIR hen, I'm going to go get her later this week. But she'll be lonely so I asked the guy if he had any other chickens he wanted to sell or give away, but he hasn't replied yet. I'm hoping to get at least a few hens to hold me over on eggs. I was getting at least a dozen eggs a day.
Do you have any hens or chicks you'd like to get rid of?
Yes we're hatching orpingtons at this very moment. They all look blue right now but they're not quite dry yet so it's hard to tell exactly what they'll look like. The rooster is a blue orp. and the hens are either the buff or black orpingtons and EEs. Let me know if you want any. So sorry about your lavender orp. and your rooster. Have the other chicks found their way home or did the fox get those also?

Yes we're hatching orpingtons at this very moment. They all look blue right now but they're not quite dry yet so it's hard to tell exactly what they'll look like. The rooster is a blue orp. and the hens are either the buff or black orpingtons and EEs. Let me know if you want any. So sorry about your lavender orp. and your rooster. Have the other chicks found their way home or did the fox get those also?

The fox got everyone but Fred :-( The others' bodies haven't been found yet. They probably never will be. So sad :-( I think I need chicken therapy! I feel so guilty because I didn't keep them safe :-( I'm definitely interested in some of your chicks. Let me know when they're all hatched and we'll get together.

I lost one of my buff orpingtons last week because I forgot to lock up the coop. I beat myself up over it also. Even when we do remember, it can happen.
You have to get rid of that fox and its den ASAP.

The chicks will be done hatching at some point overnight tonight. I'll PM you my phone #. Call me when you're ready. I'm home after 2:30 everyday.

I lost one of my buff orpingtons last week because I forgot to lock up the coop. I beat myself up over it also. Even when we do remember, it can happen.
You have to get rid of that fox and its den ASAP. 

The chicks will be done hatching at some point overnight tonight. I'll PM you my phone #. Call me when you're ready. I'm home after 2:30 everyday.

Ok, sounds good.. Thank you! And I know, it happens when you have chickens. I was so careful at first and never had any issues with the grown chickens so I started slacking. I guess the foxes were hanging back waiting for their big score.

Ok, sounds good.. Thank you! And I know, it happens when you have chickens. I was so careful at first and never had any issues with the grown chickens so I started slacking. I guess the foxes were hanging back waiting for their big score.
You're welcome!
Set a trap and get rid of that punk !
I PM'd you but I don't see it in my messages. My cell # is 845-674-6480.

Back
Top Bottom