Huge area exposed ***UPDATE 1/20/14***PICTURES

Here is one of my hens, Willow, wearing a "Jacket" or "cape" while she was having a really bad molt (obviously!). I had to put it on her as the other hens liked to pull her pinfeathers off her back. It worked really well. It was soft and stretchy enough that it didn't cause abrasion of the new feathers coming in, the way my canvas saddles did on my other hens.

One for Ellisa's hen wouldn't need to be as long, probably.

Thank you for sharing this picture! What a great idea.

Please share with me what you think....is it getting better?

I am still using neosporin, but she likes to eat it
idunno.gif
so that is why there are blood spots. I am having a company off here, make me a chicken saddle to go over her wings to make it harder for her to do that...but it won't cover the wound. I hope that will help.

Thank you for sharing these photos. How is she doing now? I have an injured hen but not bad. My problem has been re-introducing her back into the flock. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing these photos. How is she doing now? I have an injured hen but not bad. My problem has been re-introducing her back into the flock. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

She has always been peppy, full red comb, active, talkative and still lays her eggs. However, this is such a bad wound and I have never seen it or worked with a chicken with any kind of wound...I like that we have forums and this website because other people have dealt with this and know what they are talking about!!!! I would seriously would be lost!

In a couple of days, I will post pictures of the wound for an update, thank you everyone!!!

Here are pictures of her:

Side w/o the wound
Side w/the wound

I'd cleanse the wound once with peroxide, pluck all feathers that can get into the wound away from it, fill the hole with silvadene, cover the wound with blue kote, put her in a hospital cage with heat she can get under or away from (90-98 directly under the light). Everyday I would spray her wound with blue kote. For pain and infection prevention she needs to be started on a broad spectrum antibiotic, a baby aspirin per quart of water, and if she gets a bit gurgly, a tsp of children's benadryl (per qt). Please keep us updated on how she does, ok? Cathryn MI

I'd cleanse the wound once with peroxide, pluck all feathers that can get into the wound away from it, fill the hole with silvadene, cover the wound with blue kote, put her in a hospital cage with heat she can get under or away from (90-98 directly under the light). Everyday I would spray her wound with blue kote. For pain and infection prevention she needs to be started on a broad spectrum antibiotic, a baby aspirin per quart of water, and if she gets a bit gurgly, a tsp of children's benadryl (per qt). Please keep us updated on how she does, ok? Cathryn MI

Is this what I need to do from this point of the wounds progression? Or from the beginning, when it first occurred?

Currently, she is in my bathroom in a dog's crate, it's holds heat well. I let her out to walk around, in the bathroom as she gets bored. When this 1st happened I used peroxide for 2 days focusing on the puncture wounds and finishing with neosporin. Since then, I've been using Vetericyn, finishing with neosporin.

Back
Top Bottom