Huge area exposed ***UPDATE 1/20/14***PICTURES

Ellisa

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
I found tons of feathers all over the place....then a huge chunk of skin with feathers....I found the chicken and she has a silver dollar shape area that is bare and exposed.

What should I do?

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please tell me is this looking better or getting worse? Thank you!
hu.gif

Wow! She's still laying eggs? You must be taking good care of her.
FYI, That area will eventually close, but it will not regrow feathers.
After it completely closes, when you reintroduce her to the flock, keep an eye on her, because it may upset the pecking order.

First off, I think the wound is coming along nicely. Really amazing progress when you look back at the first pictures.

Secondly, could someone post a picture of a chicken in a jacket?

Here is one of my hens, Willow, wearing a "Jacket" or "cape" while she was having a really bad molt (obviously!). I had to put it on her as the other hens liked to pull her pinfeathers off her back. It worked really well. It was soft and stretchy enough that it didn't cause abrasion of the new feathers coming in, the way my canvas saddles did on my other hens.

One for Ellisa's hen wouldn't need to be as long, probably.

Please share with me what you think....is it getting better?

I am still using neosporin, but she likes to eat it
idunno.gif
so that is why there are blood spots. I am having a company off here, make me a chicken saddle to go over her wings to make it harder for her to do that...but it won't cover the wound. I hope that will help.

Thank you for sharing these photos. How is she doing now? I have an injured hen but not bad. My problem has been re-introducing her back into the flock. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom