Huh! Some buddy he is! Never presume!

Quote:
How would you like to have a plastic bag tied around your head so that you suffocated? This is not the right way to do things. If you can't kill an animal INSTANTLY then don't do it at all.

X2!!
jeesh.. some sick ideas i see in this place sometimes..

Last edited:
Just get your own .22 and shoot it yourself. I can kinda understand where your friend is coming from. I also don't kill things unnecessarily, except to eat, to end suffering or PROTECT ME AND MY LIVESTOCK.
I guess to your friend it's different if it's to protect someobody else's livestock. Seems the least he could do would be to teach you to use the gun an let you borrow it if you caught a raccoon. I'd definitely help you learn to protect your own livestock if I were there.

You can get a nice bolt action Savage .22 rifle at WalMart or similar places for about $100 - it's what I use and it's a great gun especially at that price
thumbsup.gif

JMHO, a .38 at that close range will probably be more mess than it's worth and you already said that you are not used to shooting it. Unlike the .22, they do kick a little and you'll need ear protection, so you'd better practice before you get your raccoon.

Gun Control is being able to hit your target. Small is better. Less mess.

Got a firing range nearby? Maybe someone there will do it.

Oh yeah. Watch those claws and teeth.

Quote:
1) Illegal to re-release raccoons in many states,

2) it will be back to your home shortly after you, if not before,

3) you will cause someone else heartache when it breaks into their coop or pen and eats thier animals!

Not a good choice! Now if you can drive deep, deep into the wilderness, at least 100 miles from any habitation, then maybe, just maybe release would be something to consider.

This quote was taken from the Ft. Wayne Journal Gazette: "Animal Control will rent a trap to you only if the animal is in your house, and when you catch it, don’t think they’ll be sending the little guy somewhere far away.

“Even if we take one out of a dwelling, we’re not allowed to relocate it,” Bender said. “We have to release it right there, and then people get mad.”

You can, however, rent a trap from others. Wild Birds Unlimited offers raccoon traps for $3 a day, and it doesn’t matter whether the animal is in your house or just a nuisance. And once a raccoon is trapped, you can relocate it yourself.

DNR spokesman Phil Bloom said the raccoon relocation must be within the county where it was captured, but relocating the animal is probably pointless."

So relocating it is not illegal in Indiana, and I did say "in a wooded area far from homes." However, if you are one of those people who would rather kill an animal than take the time to relocate it I'm sure nothing anyone says will change your mind. Just do it in a quick and humane way, not with a trash bag!

Chickmate said:

"However, if you are one of those people who would rather kill an animal than take the time to relocate it I'm sure nothing anyone says will change your mind."

Relocating a predator is just dumping your problem in someone else's backyard. Then it will go after their chickens rather than yours.

joebryant,

I agree with those who suggest that you simply shoot the thing yourself. Why would you want to rely on someone else to take care of your problem for you? You don't have to spend much to get a .22LR rifle that will be all you need for this and most future predators that come around your place. If you cannot find one in your price range that is new, you can visit a few Pawn shops in your area and I bet you will find several good choices at very reasonable prices (be sure to bargain with them.)

Quote:
Suffocation does not involve Slowly falling asleep, painlessly. It's more like a panic attack trying to gasp for air before finally passing out from lack of oxygen. I suggest finding your .38. Don't use the 30 year old bullets though.

Quote:
Use a smaller gun and you won't have to let them out to shoot 'em. I stick the barrel of the .22 right through the wire. Pop! Dead. And dead bodies are easily dumped out of the trap no matter their size or the speed at which they could run when alive.
wink.png

x2

Back
Top Bottom