Human anti-viral meds for Mareks -- has anyone else tried this?

hmmm. Garlic, I managed to get a crop in this fall, so will have plenty in the mid summer this year. crop rotted out last year with the excessive rains we had. I usually chop cloves into the feed every few weeks or so...or if someone is looking off, more intensively.

Going to look into the calcium carbonate - the run is quite large but there are areas that have gotten barren. I've added hay and leaves to it, but it isn't right yet. Also considering fencing off parts of the run to let it recover.

Can't do a true deep litter method in Minnesota - it is just too cold (well below 0F) for about 6 months. I use hay for litter. In the winter I just pick up the frozen clods of droppings from their roosting. In the summer there is less to do but it is too dry to compost and I haven't yet gone to the spray method of dampening the litter to provide enough moisture for compost. I don't totally remove all the hay any longer - used to pull it out when it was a sodden mess come spring when it thaws out.

wonder if I could grow enough tumeric as house plants? have to look that up.

I totally agree with the pellets/crumbles. I use a mash which has whole grains, broken grains and some finer into a powder. In the summer that is fed wet - usually having soaked overnight. In the winter....dry and I try to use a mash that is coarser. It isn't that I object to whole grains, its just that the cost triples if I buy it from some of the boutique chicken feed companies that have sprung up in the cities, and the feed mills here require a massive amount to mix it that way for you. I am working on teaming up with someone about 75 miles a way to see if we can make it work between the two of us.

again, thank you so much for taking the time to share this info. Sounds like your flocks are incredibly happy and healthy!

Going to look into the calcium carbonate - the run is quite large but there are areas that have gotten barren. I've added hay and leaves to it, but it isn't right yet. Also considering fencing off parts of the run to let it recover.

Lately I have switched to game cock conditioner which has a lot of whole grains (I grind it up and wet it down). They seem to have more energy and I feel better about feeding that then the "mystery mash" sold as layer feed.

Yeah I am going to plant some stuff in the run too, it looks barren in patches but that will change soon as the grass/weeds will fill in.

Regardless I bought some seed formulated for chicken foraging and am going to fence off a couple of areas of their run until it grows out. Good price of $4 per lb of seeds and it qualifies as organic.

Consists of:
Tetrelite intermediate ryegrass
Tetraploid perennial ryegrass
Common Flax
Buckwheat
Tetraploid annual ryegrass
Japanese Millet in Spring and Summer or Ryegrain in Fall and winter
Red clover
Strawberry clover
Alfalfa
Ladino clover
Broadleaf Trefoil

http://www.groworganic.com/omega-3-chicken-forage-blend-irrigated.html

Photo of game cock feed ....it is mostly whole grains...

Last edited:
About the composting deep litter, I know there's lots of differing opinions on what that is and how one sets it up, but I just tweak it to suit my conditions, not follow some rulebook or any strict guidelines. I use the term 'composting' now to differentiate it from the 'deep litter' method people build on concrete in sheds where they only clean it out once or twice a year, but it's not truly composting at any point.

I think, in a nutshell, you're trying to mimic the natural forest floors around you, or whatever equivalent you have; basically just aiming to replicate the healthy 'wild' soil that has animals permanently living over/on it yet never becomes sickened and soured unlike many coop floors.

I've lived on properties with some extremely overpopulated forests which retained their health despite that, a real testament to the strength of healthy soil composition. Doesn't matter how much fecal matter is thrown at it. ;)

Best wishes.

Last edited:
You guys are right regarding modern farming practices compared to ancient or even other cultures in this age with respect to animal welfare....it's really interesting. I was thinking more of recent history of my own culture and in particular my grandfather's day compared to back yard/allotment poultry keeping now, but I guess, from the examples you have given, these things change probably more with culture and circumstances than over time.

Anyway, I am very happy to report that my girl is definitely making noticeable progress now. The past few days she has been out of the nest and standing every time I have gone into the hen house. She is able to get into and out of the nest (a drawer with a 4" depth) quite well and this afternoon I put her out in the stack yard again and left her and her pal there whilst I went riding and when I got back, it was almost dusk and they had both made their way back into the hen house 80+ feet away and did not seem to be overly intimidated by the rest of the flock being in there with them.I had the sick bay doors closed so the other birds couldn't get in there and make a mess, but they were happily sitting underneath it waiting for me to open up and let them in.They are definitely growing in mobility and confidence. I got another egg this morning from one of them too, so I really can't complain. I put them back into the sick bay tonight and they shared a bowl of fermented mixed corn and then clambered into the nest compartment together and snuggled down. It's great to see some sunshine and I really think it is doing them so much good too.

Good to hear! Hope things continue to improve.

I really do agree that the sunshine does them so much good, that's always been my experience with animals in rehabilitation. The sunlight is a bit of a booster for them. I'm learning about vitamin D in the body (natural not synthetic since they are different despite what some say) and it does make sense that it helps so much, it's not a figment of imagination for sure.

Best wishes.

Been doing alot of reading about hepesvirus, what family of virus is what etc. I started to wonder the street value of all of the antivirals..... BYC "Buyers Club".... I see that all of these goodies are avail online....is this true?

The shingles vaccination makes me think..... And VZV "immune globulin".....

These 2 i have may live a while, but next time i will want to try antiviruls immediately.

Today I noticed 1 little hen, slow from the roost 2 days in a row....used to mean nothing...:/

Last edited:
Alibaba I am not sure what country you are in but if you are in the US i would NOT buy online.

If you can, get a prescription from your vet it will be much much cheaper to just buy it at a local pharmacy. I paid less than $2 per pill, online the price is several times that. One pill will treat a chicken for weeks.

Last edited:
I could not imagine that I could request that the Vet prescribe a human antiviral? I can just imagine how that would go. Him looking at me like I am a crazy person...
lau.gif

Hey all, I have benn athinking and athinking and research, OMG. Lilly and Poppy. Poppy was so strong when he came in, standing and crowing. Then went sideways. Lilly got stronger, then went down.

She had a leap, from one day standing (Wow) and falling forward, to able to stand and take small steps. She slipped back a bit, getting wobbly side to side....still gobbling food, nice firm stools, but she only wants certain grains out of the scratch among other things... that's another post.

Rooster Poppy is slipping further and further. has been the same spread leg hock sitting for week. His head has become propped back. Seems somewhat paralyzed. Sometimes stands, sometimes pecks and drinks. I am tube feeding him 2 X's per day.

Here's the thing, I have some neurontin (gabapentin) it is for nerve damage, nerve pain, seizures in humans. (Will probably do nothing, live everything else.
hmm.png

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom