Human infection

Tronracer

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2018
South New Jersey
Right now I have 5 week old chicks in the basement. There’s no ventilation down there. There’s a lot of dust. It gets down to 40 in NJ at night so I don’t want to put them outside in the coop yet.

My 2 year old daughter just got sick., which is to be expected at that age but...

I can’t help but to consider if it is from the dust. She has a 103 fever, coughing, runny nose.

Thoughts?

I’d think the dust would set off allergies or any accidental fecal contamination would cause more gastric issues. Sounds like normal kids bugs to me, especially at two. Could the dust be irritating her lungs on top of a cold? Could be likely depending on how much she is exposed.

40, dry, and draft-free is plenty for feathered chicks, about time to kick them out! Give them a heating pad in a box at night to cuddle with if you’re worried about them getting cold.

5 weeks old id put them out as I get bad ashtma from bird dust if they stay in any longer but she prolly just has a cold but if it was me birds would be booted at 5 weeks they are pretty feathered

Probably just sick from a human virus.

The dust would cause coughing and maybe wheezing with those with not the greatest/not yet developed airways/lungs.

On the other hand, if your daughter were to start have bad stomach aches and diarrhea, then it would be probable that she got salmonella from chicks after handling.

Do a google search on pigeon lung. Dander and dust from chickens can cause the same problem in some people. I'd get the birds out of the house and the child to the doctor.

If you have the slightest concern for your child remember no birds are worth the health of your child, you, or you family. Put the chicks outside, at 5 weeks old they should be fine you could supply a heat lamp if you feel the need.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom