Humidity and Temperature

Sorry to hear the little one didn't make it.
1f641.png
I'm wondering if omphalitis may have been a factor: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis.

After reading this, I think it could have been the problem along with other factors. In one of the pictures, if you look close enough, the umbilical cord was exposed and the bottom was really puffy. I could tell after about 3 hours after hatching something wasn't right but I kept hoping for the best. It could have been a bacteria infection, but I made sure after all the chicks and unhatched eggs were out to really scrub and clean the incubator. I did not clean it before I set the eggs but should have. I wonder if those eggs were bad anyways because half were my brown eggs ( 3 of the browns hatched ) and the other half my blue eggs ( 1 hatched and died, all others did not hatch ).

Last edited:
I'm sorry, gosh, these little things are so fragile....

Before I started work on the coolerbator, I cleaned it with Simple Green. I almost didn't bother to clean it after putting it together, but then I changed my mind and put some bleach water in a spray bottle and gently sprayed the inside....

I think, after my first attempt, (a total bust, by the way) I'll even use a pair of disposable gloves just for candling and handling, just to make sure I don't transfer any bacteria.

After reading this, I think it could have been the problem along with other factors.  In one of the pictures, if you look close enough, the umbilical cord was exposed and the bottom was really puffy.  I could tell after about 3 hours after hatching something wasn't right but I kept hoping for the best.  It could have been a bacteria infection, but I made sure after all the chicks and unhatched eggs were out to really scrub and clean the incubator.  I did not clean it before I set the eggs but should have.  I wonder if those eggs were bad anyways because half were my brown eggs ( 3 of the browns hatched ) and the other half my blue eggs ( 1 hatched and died, all others did not hatch ).
It's pretty depressing to have a bad hatch, but it's also a learning opportunity - I feel like I learn something every time. Hope your next hatch goes more smoothly.

I'm sorry, gosh, these little things are so fragile....

Before I started work on the coolerbator, I cleaned it with Simple Green. I almost didn't bother to clean it after putting it together, but then I changed my mind and put some bleach water in a spray bottle and gently sprayed the inside....

I think, after my first attempt, (a total bust, by the way) I'll even use a pair of disposable gloves just for candling and handling, just to make sure I don't transfer any bacteria.
Sorry to hear about your first hatch.
1f641.png
Sometimes, it just doesn't seem meant to be - I had one complete bust with my first duck eggs I incubated. I should have known they were doomed - delayed shipping, an unduly circuitous route, delivery to the wrong post office (!), unusually cold weather - it just really sucked to wait 35 days...then 36...at 38, they clearly weren't going to happen. I have successfully hatched my own ducks' eggs since, but that memory lingers.

I clean my incubators with soap and water followed by a vinegar spray down. Final step is UV sanitizing: I leave it in full sun for several hours (though the heat can warp thin plastic, like the tray). That's just my technique, but I have hatched more eggs than I'd like to admit and haven't had a bacteria problem.

One last note: I was hyperconscious about cleanliness when I first started incubating - I used nitrile gloves to handle the eggs when candling, too. Now I just wash my hands before I handle them and have had no problems.
1f642.png

Sorry to hear about your first hatch.
1f641.png
Sometimes, it just doesn't seem meant to be - I had one complete bust with my first duck eggs I incubated. I should have known they were doomed - delayed shipping, an unduly circuitous route, delivery to the wrong post office (!), unusually cold weather - it just really sucked to wait 35 days...then 36...at 38, they clearly weren't going to happen. I have successfully hatched my own ducks' eggs since, but that memory lingers.
Yes, the seller shipped my eggs over Labor Day, so they were in transit for at least 4 days, maybe 5..... I'm sure that didn't help! Lord, I can't imagine what your eggs went through, Ugh! .....After candiling a few at day 10, I started to get a sinking feeling in my stomach, then at day 14 the few that were alive weren't moving .... It is a terrible feeling.

This time the eggs got here really quick, from the east coast it took 3 days, from their hands to mine. So, hopefully I'll get something...

I clean my incubators with soap and water followed by a vinegar spray down. Final step is UV sanitizing: I leave it in full sun for several hours (though the heat can warp thin plastic, like the tray). That's just my technique, but I have hatched more eggs than I'd like to admit and haven't had a bacteria problem.

One last note: I was hyperconscious about cleanliness when I first started incubating - I used nitrile gloves to handle the eggs when candling, too. Now I just wash my hands before I handle them and have had no problems.
1f642.png
Vinegar - now that would be a good cleaner, I'll have to use that next time! ..... I really feel uncomfortable using gloves, I'm so afraid I'll drop one, maybe I'll just wash good....

Yes I've learned not to have shipped eggs anymore. Its too expensive to get a bad hatch.

With the money I have invested in eggs, I could easily fund a road trip to the nearest reputable breeder (9hrs, one way) and pick up live birds in the spring. I'm just so hard-headed, I didn't want to wait until then...."immediate gratification" backfired in this instance!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom